Pacific Insert O/A Cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkuhe

Nov 10, 2008
Ma
Page 9

2) Room air supply: Install the insert as described in the installation section. When the installation is complete do not seal surround to fireplace. This will allow enough combustion air to enter the fireplace cavity and the insert. As well, the O/A cover may be removed for additional air supply. Once removed, combustion air is drawn from the room into the lower front of the insert.

Do most people remove there O/A cover or is that only when you don't have enough draft?

If your not running an outside air kit, you should remove the cut out on the side of the unit. As the insert gets its air through there if no outside air kit.

Hogwildz said:
If your not running an outside air kit, you should remove the cut out on the side of the unit. As the insert gets its air through there if no outside air kit.

So I have the D1 and the cover is on the front, behind the lever underneath the ash lip. I thought the air comes in through a rectangular opening in the back of the unit? Seems to me that air would be able to come in on either side of the stove, as long as the surround isn't sealed, and enter in through the back.
As I understand this allows the air to heat up before coming into the combustion chamber.
Only thing this cover would seem to do is add an additional path for air to enter the rear rectangular area.

Am I confused?

Combustion Air

Consult local building codes regarding combustion air supply.
Intake or combustion air can be supplied to the Insert
in one of two ways:
1) Outside air supply: Remove cover from ash clean out in
existing fi replace. Place a rodent screen in place of the
cover. Install the Insert as described in the installation
section, making sure not to cover the opening of the
air inlet. When installation is complete, seal surround
to fi replace and anywhere else air may enter. This will
ensure combustion air is drawn from outside the house
and into the 9" x 2" intake at the lower rear of the appliance.

2) Room air supply: Install the Insert as described in the
installation section. When the installation is complete
do not seal surround to fi replace. This will allow enough
combustion air to enter the fi replace cavity and the Insert.
As well, the O/A cover may be removed for additional
air supply. Once removed, combustion air is drawn from
the room into the lower front of the Insert.
Removal: The O/A cover should be removed prior to installation.
For better access, tip the Insert onto its back.

Hogwildz said:
Do yourself a favor. Pull the cover off as manual shows and be done with it. No sealing of surround needed, and an easy path for the room air to enter the insert.

http://www.pacificenergy.net/PDF/manuals/PACINSD1270706-20.pdf pg9

I have no plan on sealing the surround, I am just confused as to what the difference is with the O/A cover on or off and why the manual doesn't just tell you to either take it off or leave it on?

I am only on my second break in fire and so far it seems like I have a decent draft with the cover left on, but if I will get a better burn or if you think it will increase the heat output I will take it off.

I hope I don't sound argumentative, I am just trying to understand what the difference is.

tkuhe said:
Hogwildz said:
Do yourself a favor. Pull the cover off as manual shows and be done with it. No sealing of surround needed, and an easy path for the room air to enter the insert.

I have no plan on sealing the surround, I am just confused as to what the difference is with the O/A cover on or off and why the manual doesn't just tell you to either take it off or leave it on?

I am only on my second break in fire and so far it seems like I have a decent draft with the cover left on, but if I will get a better burn or if you think it will increase the heat output I will take it off.

I hope I don't sound argumentative, I am just trying to understand what the difference is.

I didn't realize you had it installed already. If its burning fine, then let it be and enjoy.
I am not sure why the give it as an option, don't know.
But if its burning ok, then your good to go.

Hogwildz said:
tkuhe said:
Hogwildz said:

I didn't realize you had it installed already. If its burning fine, then let it be and enjoy.

Hogwildz,

Thanks. I will keep an eye on it. Pretty warm yesterday, 50 F, during my first burn, and then this morning it was probably 37 F, and both seemed to draw ok.
Are there any signs I can watch for that would indicate not enough draw? This is my first stove:)
Also, I am pretty sure I can take the cover off even while it is installed so if it comes to that I think I can do it easy enough.
Weird that they don't specifiy one way or the other. I guess I could call PE and ask.

Thanks again,
-Tucker

I am ashamed to admit that I don't know whether mine was removed or not.
I will try and remember to ask my installer during the next service call.

Has this any bearing on the inability to completely cut off the air supply on these things?
Meaning that with the lever all the way to the right it still gets air.
A couple of times I have wanted to slow things down quickly and was unable to even with foil over the lever slot.
Would having this cut out open affect that at all?

tkuhe said:
Hogwildz said:
tkuhe said:
Hogwildz said:

Hogwildz,

Thanks. I will keep an eye on it. Pretty warm yesterday, 50 F, during my first burn, and then this morning it was probably 37 F, and both seemed to draw ok.
Are there any signs I can watch for that would indicate not enough draw? This is my first stove:)
Also, I am pretty sure I can take the cover off even while it is installed so if it comes to that I think I can do it easy enough.
Weird that they don't specifiy one way or the other. I guess I could call PE and ask.

Thanks again,
-Tucker

If your getting draft at 50f, then your getting good draft. The colder it gets the better.
The air the insert takes in is more for the combustion air. If its burning good, then nothing more to do.

Cearbhaill said:
I am ashamed to admit that I don't know whether mine was removed or not.
I will try and remember to ask my installer during the next service call.

Has this any bearing on the inability to completely cut off the air supply on these things?
Meaning that with the lever all the way to the right it still gets air.
A couple of times I have wanted to slow things down quickly and was unable to even with foil over the lever slot.
Would having this cut out open affect that at all?

The insert is not made to be able to completely shut the air down. Burning larger splits will not spike the insert temp up as fast as smaller splits will.
With a load of small splits, its load and hang on for the ride. You will not control that.
Mix some larger ones in and you will find it easier to handle.

Can anyone else chime in on whether or they installed there Pacific insert with or without the O/A cover as referred to on pg9 of the manual?

Mine is still on, have the surround unsealed and ash drop to basement open so thats where I and drawing most ait I think.

Here's how our installers handle the inside air cover issue:

If outside air is being provided to the fireplace:
The cover stays on, and the surround panels are sealed to the fireplace facia w/packing

No outside air, rough stone facia:
The cover stays on, and the insert is pushed in until the surround panels touch the farthest-protruding stones
(room air will feed thru gaps between stones)

No outside air, brick facia
The cover stays on, and we omit the packing between the surround panels and the bricks
(room air will feed thru gaps created by the uneven brick surface and mortar indents)

No outside air, smooth facia (tile, polished stone)
The cover comes off
OR
The insert is installed with a 1/4" gap between the surround panels & the facia

thechimneysweep said:
No outside air, brick facia
The cover stays on, and we omit the packing between the surround panels and the bricks
(room air will feed thru gaps created by the uneven brick surface and mortar indents)

Thanks Tom. That is my setup. Looks like I got lucky and got it right. -Tucker

Status
Not open for further replies.