Packed or Aircooled Flu?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coog

Burning Hunk
Aug 28, 2012
North West Illinois
Okay so I purchased the unit and am waiting for it to come in. I still need to make the call on the stack.

Bought a Quad 7100, which allows for the air-cooled or the Duraplus insulated pipe. The pricing is drastically different between the two; like $1,000 vs $2,000. Of course this is 8" pipe which is ridiculously expensive. I have always gathered that insulated pipe is better and recommended for colder climates, which I am on the border beings I am in NW Illinois. Also, the air-cooled pipe requires an air-cooled kit (which comes with the unit). Not found of that idea.

Should I just swallow hard and get the packed pipe?

If the pipe will be exposed outside go with the insulated pipe. So if you are just planning on penetrating the chimney pipe thru the roof, use the Class A. If it is in a insulated chase all the way you could use the air cooled pipe.

... or if in an existing chimney, use a blanket-wrapped flex liner.

How tall will the flue be? If single-story definitely go with the insulated pipe. Same if this is in an uninsulated exterior chase. Aw heck, just do it. It will be one less thing to replace if you decide to update the fireplace 10 yrs down the road.

If the pipe will be exposed outside go with the insulated pipe. So if you are just planning on penetrating the chimney pipe thru the roof, use the Class A. If it is in a insulated chase all the way you could use the air cooled pipe.

There is about 12' of stack to the roof line; 7' in an insulated chase and 4' exposed in the attic. Another 2'-3' oabove the roof. The whole stack is straight up, no elbows.

I have 6ft of blackpipe and 13ft of class a, the class a is exposed for almost 8ft. No issues with draft. Class a is going to be insulated to someone extent by the air space between the layers.

I'd be going with Class A either way you slice it. Nice having that layer of insulation in the pipe.......just my two cents.

Merry Christmas!

How tall will the flue be? If single-story definitely go with the insulated pipe. Same if this is in an uninsulated exterior chase. Aw heck, just do it. It will be one less thing to replace if you decide to update the fireplace 10 yrs down the road.

Ya. I think I will go with the insulated pipe. I have a short straight stack. I really do not like the air cooled kit. Seems like I should need insulated pipe if I need an air cool kit.

Hey, if I replaced my fireplace some day with a unit that requires 6" or 7" pipe, is it okay to reduce and keep the 8". Has anyone done this?

Ya. I think I will go with the insulated pipe. I have a short straight stack. I really do not like the air cooled kit. Seems like I should need insulated pipe if I need an air cool kit.

Hey, if I replaced my fireplace some day with a unit that requires 6" or 7" pipe, is it okay to reduce and keep the 8". Has anyone done this?
It's OK to reduce the pipe down, but you shouldn't reduce the stove down. Only trouble is when you have a 6" stove tying into an 8" flue, sometimes you have reduced draft issues......

For sure go with insulated. The fireplace requires a minimum of 13ft, but go taller if at all possible. It may be possible to adapt later, but this really depends on the unit's requirements.

Reactions: ScotO
Plan to go with the insulated pipe. Thanks all for the input. I will post pics once the unit is installed; hopefully by the end of January.

By the way Scotty, your picture avatar is gorgeous; quite the set up. Good work. I think that if you go to work of installing a stove, fireplace or freestanding, one should at least try to make it look good. Ours is the focal point of our entire house.

Status
Not open for further replies.