Packing Density

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

free75degrees

Apr 6, 2008
Boston Area
Anybody know the typical packing density for split firewood? I'll be getting some large diameter ash this weekend and there is a total of about 15 linear feet of this stuff with an average diameter of about 3.5 feet. So I estimate the total solid volume to be about 144 cubic feet (15 x 3.14159 x (3/2) x (3/2)). I want to get a feel for how much cordage this is so i need to know a typical percentage for how much of a pile of stacked, split wood is actual wood and not air.

A typical cord is about 85 cubic ft according to one university website.

128 cubic feet of stacked wood..

128 is total cubic feet of a cord, stacked. I think the OP is asking how much ACTUAL WOOD is in a cord...

and I agree with bluefrier, thats what I found too... 85 cubic feet. FREE75DEGREES, you should have just under 2 cords there.

Cool thanks. 85 is the number I was looking for. That means that 66% of of typical cord is wood and 33% is air.

Status
Not open for further replies.