Packing up the Stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
So, there I sat last night, knowing that the burning season was over, and thinking about the various places in the living room where supplies are stored.

The wood ring, the bin with newspapers, the small ring for the fatwood supply, the smaller bin for kindling pieces.

It would generate a certain amount of space if I were to clear them out til the Fall.

But in the end, I'd have to lug them all back "in" again, and I kinda like the reminder of the use of the stove (nevermind that the stove is sitting right there, to remind me).

Made me wonder if you clear your living room (or whatever room your stove is in), of the extraneaous material when wood burning season is over, or if you let it stay.

-Soupy1957

The only way anyone is gonna get my wood burning supplies moved out the room is by prying them out of my cold, dead fingers!;lol

Reactions: milleo
I was thinking about emptying the ring that holds a couple of days' wood supply, but my wife said she likes the way the wood looks, so instead of emptying it I filled it. The miscellaneous boxes of kindling, tote of extra wood, gloves, etc. all were put away.

In the first year of burning I cobbled together a woodbox that sits near the woodstove. I told my wife I would remove it in the Spring. Spring came and I asked her if she wanted me to take it outside and she stated she was fine with my primitive wood working skills so it has stayed there all year long. I do clean it out though.

I only have a couple metal buckets that go on the porch. The rest gets one cabinet shelf.

I have a large wood ring and a small kindling, fatwood ring. I will take both of them out just to clean up the area mainly. It is not too big of a deal for me, so I go ahead and do it.

Almost always have some wood & kindling in the wood box ready to go.
Stove & wood box is out of the way in the basement though.

If its movable - it gets moved to the garage.

Same here, if I can pick it up I move it to the basement. My wife enjoys the space and the feeling knowing that there won't be any extra dust produced for 4-5 mos. If I had it my way I think I would leave the ring with it full of 'nice' looking splits for appearance purposes, it's a give and take thing ya know

Reactions: milleo
I keep it all there, like you say just have to move it back, same reason I dont make the bed in the morning, just gonna mess it up again when I go to bed.

Soupy, you have not been on the forum for a while. Hope all is well. We had a thread going on this topic recently. For us, we move things out and if it weren't so difficult we'd also move the stove out through the summer months.

I was having the same conversation wtith my wife this weekend. She wants me to put the stuff in the attic. Though I dont want to, she "offered" to help which means, well you married guys know what that means. LOL>

Reactions: ailanthus
None of it's in my way. I've no other "summertime" use for what little space it takes up, which is almost all up on the raised hearth with the stove. I don't move anything to
anywhere. Rick

house2.jpg

None of it's in my way. I've no other "summertime" use for what little space it takes up, which is almost all up on the raised hearth with the stove. I don't move anything to
anywhere. Rick

View attachment 67048

Nice setup Rick. You have no reason to move anything having a raised hearth, everything has it's own place...

Ash hod gets cleaned out and put back by the stove. I take the galvanized bucket I keep splits in outside and dump it, then bring it right back in.
Seems to me, the stuff for the stove should stay by the stove.

Now a woman's point of view. I have been heating my house for 34 years with a Fisher Stove that just bit the dust. I miss the sorry thing and can't wait for the new Oslo to be installed. However, come Spring, my mind wanders to other things. The assortment of shovels by the front door gets stored in the barn (we have several for the various textures of snow from fluffy to sleet), the mounds of boots, hats, gloves etc. in the front hall gets boxed and out of the way. The last bit of bird seed gets used up and that barrel gets stored a way, Out comes the rakes, flip flops, grass seed for fixing the dogs pee spots, planters, fertilizers of all types, bikes, balls, bats and other forms of outdoor equipment. I have no room for chunks of wood in my house. Soon enough our driveway will have several loads of firewood that will have to be neatly stacked. I can go a few weeks without looking at or touching wood. We have an outdoor firepit- that will get used on cool summer nights..this will fill the fire void until approx. Oct. 15th

After all this time in the last two years I have perfected having nothing in the room but the stove and the shovel and ash rake. Nothing to move out. Wood that comes in goes in the stove post haste. Only leaves the Super Cedars and they stay in the closet year round.

Soupy, you have not been on the forum for a while. Hope all is well. We had a thread going on this topic recently. For us, we move things out and if it weren't so difficult we'd also move the stove out through the summer months.
No way.....I will put a jar candle in the stove when I totally stop burning.....:)

All I have that could get moved is the firewood box and it stays in same place year round.

I use newspaper for masking off stuff when I'm painting, not for the stove though.

I just clean the stove, make any needed repairs, and then toss the copper tubs where I store splits and kindling into fireplace and close the doors for the season. Out of sight!

P4110002.JPG

Next fall, open the doors, pull out the splits tub, and light a fire! It can't get much easier.

Wood left in the house is gonna sit in the ring. So will the kindling, etc.

Working on the outside wood piles, and bringing in new fire wood for next year.

Added bonus is that the wood in the indoor ring is gonna be super dry :)

Not married. Waiting patiently for explanation.
Well when you have been married for 15 years you learn how to avoid arguments by learning which fight to have and which to not have. sometimes the best to do 5 minutes of work and get it done than have her being upset for 3 days then on the fourth telling you why she has been upset. Since the stove and its paraphernalia is my hobby, ill just do it and get it over with. lol

Well when you have been married for 15 years you learn how to avoid arguments by learning which fight to have and which to not have. sometimes the best to do 5 minutes of work and get it done than have her being upset for 3 days then on the fourth telling you why she has been upset. Since the stove and its paraphernalia is my hobby, ill just do it and get it over with. lol

My condolences. ;)

I just clean the stove, make any needed repairs, and then toss the copper tubs where I store splits and kindling into fireplace and close the doors for the season. Out of sight!

View attachment 67067

Next fall, open the doors, pull out the splits tub, and light a fire! It can't get much easier.
Wow, that is certainly a beauty. One question, the rocker on the right--how do you keep it from marking up the hardwood floors?

Status
Not open for further replies.