Paint and Peel - lessons learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
We had a wood insert installed this spring and the chimney swept, but not the fire place. Even though the liner was insulated, we kinda smell it from time to time. Hoping paint and peel would help. Sure it works, only if I was patient enough to slowly peel from one corner to another side. Long story short, I mistaken painted back left corner of the fire place with the insert and liner in place, big mistake! Now I have a hard time reaching in to peel it. The liner and stove connection were cemented. My question is how hot would you think the backend of the stove would get during normal operation, e.g. 400 degrees or so?

We had a wood insert installed this spring and the chimney swept, but not the fire place. Even though the liner was insulated, we kinda smell it from time to time. Hoping paint and peel would help. Sure it works, only if I was patient enough to slowly peel from one corner to another side. Long story short, I mistaken painted back left corner of the fire place with the insert and liner in place, big mistake! Now I have a hard time reaching in to peel it. The liner and stove connection were cemented. My question is how hot would you think the backend of the stove would get during normal operation, e.g. 400 degrees or so?

So you have creosote soaked in paint and peal stuck behind an insert and you can not reach it did I read that right? Longer smaller stick?

The cement around the flue collar can be broken out or just disconnect the liner band clamp so that the stove can be removed temporarily and the job properly addressed.

Last edited:
The cement around the flue collar can be broken out or just disconnect the liner band clamp so that the stove can be removed temporarily and the job properly addressed.
Thanks Begreen, I should do it right, not worth risking any adverse health/safety effects.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.