paint chipping and flaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamburch

Jan 21, 2015
Clive, IA
We have a heatilator fireplace installed by our builder less than a year ago. The paint on the inside of the box is flaking and peeling all over the place. You can see the stainless steel where it has chipped. Has anyone had this happen before? What is the solution? In my opinion, my builder should warranty this with our one year warranty, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this happen too.

That's a common occurrence in gas fireplaces. The environment in the fire box is pretty harsh & even the heat rated paint doesn't hold up.
That's why a LOT of gas fireplaces offer optional fire brick (vermiculite) inserts.
Those surfaces can be scraped & re-painted, but more often than not, it'll flake off again.

Awesome. If it's just going to keep doing it, I'll let it all chip off and have the stainless look inside. At our old house, we used the fireplace all the time. It was the same brand and it never peeled or flaked. We lived there for about seven years with no problem with the paint. It's very frustrating!

Unfortunately, I don't think it IS stainless steel, but simple sheet steel.
There is a gallon of water vapor given off for every 100K BTU of gas you burn.
If you let the paint flake, the firebox will rust.

I also have a Heatilator (model GCDC 60 (or 80)) and just noticed that my black paint is also peeling, exposing the bright, shiny metal underneath. I live in Houston where the humidity is quite high, so the previous comment about potential for rust concerns me. But, my more immediate concern is whether this is a fire hazard. Any thoughts?

Not a fire hazard. Get some Stove Bright 1990, Satin Black & spray it on to cover the metal soon, tho, BEFORE it starts to rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.