Paint flaking off question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan99

Dec 15, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Hi all,

I just noticed paint is flaking off the body of the stove where the door closes. When I opened the door the flakes fell off.
As you look at the stove, it's the upper left corner and running along top (near where the heat comes out) to the upper right. Basically where the door meets the stove. My camera has dead batteries atm or I'd post a photo. We have an Accentra stove.

I wanted to pick your brains about it before I questioned our dealer.

Tx,

Janice

My aging Jamestown J1000's paint has flaked off the heat tubes just above the door. I painted it with flat black high-temp BBQ and grill paint, which held up for about a year; probably because I did not clean the surface all that well before painting.

If this is a new stove under warranty I would definitely complain. If you are out of warranty you can try high temp paint.

paint is listed, in both the old and new warrantees, as a Warrantee Exclusion. Its simply not covered. You can grab yourself a can of Stove Bright paint in the color of your unit, and paint it though. Make sure you get all the loose paint off first with a wire brush or the like, and, oh, dont go and spray the aerosol near a hot flame.

It never hurts to complain, might get a free can of paint or free bag of pellets. Whatta ya got to lose?

Hi,

Yep that is pretty much what the dealer said....it's not a warranty thing and also it's not really anything to worry about at this point. They did give me a free can of paint without me even having to ask for that.

Thanks for the replies all.

Oh and..."dont go and spray the aerosol near a hot flame" ty Lousy...good advice :)

Wood Heat Stoves said:
beware: it will cure again when it gets hot...

So...more smell then eh? Ewwww.

I'm going to wait until winter is over and then paint it. I guess that will give the paint plenty of time to dry at least. Any advice?

tx

Jan99 said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
beware: it will cure again when it gets hot...

So...more smell then eh? Ewwww.

I'm going to wait until winter is over and then paint it. I guess that will give the paint plenty of time to dry at least. Any advice?

tx

dry time is only a few minutes... the paint will remain "soft" until baked on....

paint well cleaned surfaces, widnex is fine, but paint prep from stovebright is the best. 220 sandpaper or finer wont leave scratch marks under the paint.
wear a good mask, toxic stuff. spray when in the 55-75* range for best results

Status
Not open for further replies.