Paint for stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the pipe and the age of the pipe. Many use Stove Brite but some use a different base paint. Simpson used a lacquer based paint that is not compatible with the acetone based Stove Brite. I found this out the hard way. Now I've heard that DuraVent is Stove Brite compatible. When in doubt call the mfg with the pipe type and age.

Remember that the paint will stink very badly when you run the stove the first few times, until you get the pipe hot enough. Best to burn on a warm day so you can run your stove on full with the windows open full at the same time to clear the stink.

5 years a few rust spots= new pipe and forget about it. If pipe fails house burns down does not compute for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.