Paint Kill Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric A

Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2010
Hi pretty new to the form but need some opinions on paint killing my cat premature? When blocking wood I use a Mingo Marker, and at predetermined intervals it puts a mark of paint. Well after cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking some of the paint is still they yes it is just a spot. The question is, is that little bit of paint going to damage my cat? Do you try to remove it or don't worry about it. What is your opinion?

I use downspray marking paint to also buck the logs to correct length. Frequently, a small blue semi circle of paint on each partial split. If your wood is seasoned this will also partially age off. I have a cat that breathes the same air we do. All the smoke/fumes go up the chimney. Cats seem to stay instinctively away from harmful substances. Whether burned or stacked I don't see how it can bother your cat.

As long as the cat stays out of the stove it should be ok. I sometimes use a piece of chalk to mark the length I want.

Matt

The mass (weight) of the paint is not significant. The stove probably ingests more plastic in the form of airborne dust than this.

I'd ignore it.

RonB said:
I use downspray marking paint to also buck the logs to correct length. Frequently, a small blue semi circle of paint on each partial split. If your wood is seasoned this will also partially age off. I have a cat that breathes the same air we do. All the smoke/fumes go up the chimney. Cats seem to stay instinctively away from harmful substances. Whether burned or stacked I don't see how it can bother your cat.

HehHeh . . . I love this answer . . . although I'm still not certain if this made in all seriousness or as deadpan humor.

Beetle-Kill said:
Uh, guys- he's burning a BKK. Cat = catalytic combustor methinks.

methinks they all know that..

on a side note.. long story, but KILLZ did in fact kill my cat. :-S

Beetle-Kill said:
Uh, guys- he's burning a BKK. Cat = catalytic combustor methinks.

Well, now that changes everything! I stand by my prior statement and think you'll be fine. ;)

Matt

RonB - 16 March 2010 10:54 AM

I use downspray marking paint to also buck the logs to correct length. Frequently, a small blue semi circle of paint on each partial split. If your wood is seasoned this will also partially age off. I have a cat that breathes the same air we do. All the smoke/fumes go up the chimney. Cats seem to stay instinctively away from harmful substances. Whether burned or stacked I don’t see how it can bother your cat.

HehHeh . . . I love this answer . . . although I’m still not certain if this made in all seriousness or as deadpan humor.

Sorry all, The fact that Mountain fire was burning a catalytic stove (and hence the question) went right over my head. I was dead serious in my answer. I saw that he was a newbie with a kinda "dumb" question. Laugh is on me and I am cracking up.

RonB said:

I use downspray marking paint to also buck the logs to correct length. Frequently, a small blue semi circle of paint on each partial split. If your wood is seasoned this will also partially age off. I have a cat that breathes the same air we do. All the smoke/fumes go up the chimney. Cats seem to stay instinctively away from harmful substances. Whether burned or stacked I don’t see how it can bother your cat.

HehHeh . . . I love this answer . . . although I’m still not certain if this made in all seriousness or as deadpan humor.

Sorry all, The fact that Mountain fire was burning a catalytic stove (and hence the question) went right over my head. I was dead serious in my answer. I saw that he was a newbie with a kinda "dumb" question. Laugh is on me and I am cracking up.

Glad I read the entire thread prior to posting, thanks Ron for catching the confusion. Pun intended: I say in this case, you could kill two cats with one can...

RonB said:

No worries . . . you made my day . . . I must have read your response two or three times and still couldn't figure if you were being serious or were having fun with the "cat" comments. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.