Paint on BKK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
Ok..stove delivered last Oct.
I think it was in Feb. when the paint started peeling just above the cat.
Dealer said cat stoves do that and to just paint it with stove brite metallic black.

I had a non cat BKK for 24 years and it was a good stove..this one is great!
But the paint deal kinda sucks.
woodstovepaintdamage.jpg

My princess has a small area under the ash lip that missed getting painted. I think they spend more time engineering than making the stoves fit and finish look nice. I am still not happy about it but hey, what can you do? Btw I just notices mine a couple weeks ago when lying down in front of the stove adjusting the leg height after moving it so it's not very noticeable. I will paint it come spring.

Jason

HotCoals said:
Dealer said cat stoves do that and to just paint it with stove brite metallic black.

That's a BS response from the dealer. Especially since it happened 4 months into ownership of the stove.

BrowningBAR said:
That's a BS response from the dealer. Especially since it happened 4 months into ownership of the stove.

+1. Mine has 18 cord through it and doesn't look any different than when I bought it.

HotCoals said:
Ok..stove delivered last Oct.
I think it was in Feb. when the paint started peeling just above the cat.

I had a non cat BKK for 24 years and it was a good stove..this one is great!
But the paint deal kinda sucks.

Your levelheadedness is admirable and refreshing, but the dealer should step up and take care of this. At this point it will have to be taken care of in the off season, but it should be taken care of.

Yeah tell me about it. My door is welded on crooked. I noticied it when I had it delivered. Went to the showroom to pick another one and they were ALL just as bad or worse.

jtb51b said:
My princess has a small area under the ash lip that missed getting painted. I think they spend more time engineering than making the stoves fit and finish look nice. I am still not happy about it but hey, what can you do? Btw I just notices mine a couple weeks ago when lying down in front of the stove adjusting the leg height after moving it so it's not very noticeable. I will paint it come spring.

Jason

NATE379 said:
Yeah tell me about it. My door is welded on crooked. I noticied it when I had it delivered. Went to the showroom to pick another one and they were ALL just as bad or worse.

jtb51b said:

Jason

See, I heard they sent all the bad ones to Alaska because in 24 hours of darkness, it's hard to notice. :cheese:

The dealer was very casual and laid back talking about how this can and does happen to cat stoves.
I was thinking about contacting BK about getting a cat for my troubles ..but have not as yet.
I would be happy with that!

I know I should have taken care of painting it by now..was just to busy.
I'll let it go out this weekend and take care of it.

I'm still using single wall pipe with a damper..I just could not leave the damper out when I installed it..to many years using one..lol.
Anyways I see you don't need it with this stove.
My question is should I get double wall pipe?
I had no probs with the stove and I guess I ran 12-13 fc through it and when I cleaned it I got about a large coffee can full of dull soot..no shiny stuff!

bsj425 said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80891/

this thread may be of interest to you then. Same thing happened similiar BS response from dealer Same purchase/born on date looks like they are putting together some sort of class action if you want to take it that far.
Thanks..I'll check out that link soon!
I would be happy with a spare cat though and call it good.
If it had been after 3 or 4 years I would not have said anything..but just 4 months in though was a heart breaker of sorts..wife was more upset then me..it was 3200 with tax.

SolarAndWood said:
BrowningBAR said:

+1. Mine has 18 cord through it and doesn't look any different than when I bought it.

+2. Jotul replaced my stove for a few paint problems that were no where near that bad.

2 years old next month.
12 months of burning
some dis-coloration above the catalytic chamber but nothing as bad as you show.
Few min ago picture, stove been burning now 24/7 for 3 weeks, on low.

Attachments

• 100_6760.jpg
    100_6760.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 300
That looks like some sort of fecund bread dough in there Dave.

bogydave said:
2 years old next month.
12 months of burning
some dis-coloration above the catalytic chamber but nothing as bad as you show.
Few min ago picture, stove been burning now 24/7 for 3 weeks, on low.
Almost went with the ultra but I like the bigger cook top on mine..though we don't really cook on it..lol..but we could..lol.
I saved around 25-30% of wood that I normally would have used with the non cat bk.
The house stayed way more even as far as temps go..if I graphed it I know the line would be way flatter.
Even in shoulder the best I could do with the old stove was 10 hr. I have seen close to 40 hours in the shoulder with this stove playing around.
Most of the time a 2/3 load gives me 24 hours..load at 8 or 9 at night in the shoulder and 12 hours at 2/3 load in the coldest months..just more convenient to load that way for me.

The flash drowned out the red embers, but you can see inside pretty good, looks funky in there though.
Ashes & hot coals. few chunks of wood on the sides.
I'll re-load in about 3 hours, 3/4 load , then good till tomorrow sometime around noon.
Wife practicing (in training) loading it, around noon with small loads.

bogydave said:
The flash drowned out the red embers, but you can see inside pretty good, looks funky in there though.
Ashes & hot coals. few chunks of wood on the sides.
I'll re-load in about 3 hours, 3/4 load , then good till tomorrow sometime around noon.
Wife practicing (in training) loading it, around noon with small loads.
Yeah..most of the time nothing to look at..though we both know that if we crank the air some we can then watch a fire.

I'll do that then turn it down all the way to show company a cool light show..lol.

Thinking about it some more..my reloads are prolly closer to 3/4 also.

HotCoals said:
Almost went with the ultra but I like the bigger cook top on mine..though we don't really cook on it..lol..but we could..lol.
I saved around 25-30% of wood that I normally would have used with the non cat bk.
The house stayed way more even as far as temps go..if I graphed it I know the line would be way flatter.
Even in shoulder the best I could do with the old stove was 10 hr. I have seen close to 40 hours in the shoulder with this stove playing around.
Most of the time a 2/3 load gives me 24 hours..load at 8 or 9 at night in the shoulder and 12 hours at 2/3 load in the coldest months..just more convenient to load that way for me.

I'm not a stove guru, but I had an old BK 1982 model, burned 9 to 10 cords every season few quit a few years.
Got the new cat-ultra, 2 years ago, burned 5-1/2 cords last winter & house is warmer. (also some house energy upgrades)
I don't know anything about other stoves, but
I'm impressed with the new BK catalytic. I assume other catalytics are as good just no experience with them.
Most of my learning curve has been to not over heat the house. Shoulder season burns.
Getting better as long as it stays below 40 outside. Above that I open windows to stay around 72 inside.
I don't know what the average burn time is for stoves is, but I get 24 on a full load when around 40 ° outside, & 12 hours when below zero.
That varies with windy or not, but we've never got up to load the stove at night with the old one & especially the new one.
Stove in basement, 3 levels (tri-level above the basement) roughly 2500 sq ft.
It's very nice to not hear the furnace kick on thru the winter. Gas Co. still owes me money from last winter. (budget billing)
Very happy with the stove so far & Very glad I went with a catalytic.

Same here Dave... they owed me almost $1000 by the time this summer hit. They came out one day and were going to put a new gas meter because they thought something was wrong. I happened to be home and told the Enstar guy to follow me. Opened the front door and pointed at the Blaze King... he did a "OOhhhhhhhhhh!". Never ended up changing the meter.

I load the stove either 1 or 2x a day depending on the temps in the house and outside.. Once we drop into actual winter 2x... though it's not like the house would get freezing if I skipped a load... would maybe drop to 65ish.

NATE379 said:
Same here Dave... they owed me almost $1000 by the time this summer hit. They came out one day and were going to put a new gas meter because they thought something was wrong. I happened to be home and told the Enstar guy to follow me. Opened the front door and pointed at the Blaze King... he did a "OOhhhhhhhhhh!". Never ended up changing the meter.

I load the stove either 1 or 2x a day depending on the temps in the house and outside.. Once we drop into actual winter 2x... though it's not like the house would get freezing if I skipped a load... would maybe drop to 65ish.

Nice feeling.
Sure hope the "in state gas line" gets approved soon. Fairbanks needs it real bad & we could use it too. Plus all the Parks Hwy towns.
May bring the prices down, Not that I'd quit burning but for those who don't supplement their heat with wood,
they've have had price shock over the past few years with the price increase on NG. Let alone the oil burners.
Would help with the electric bills too. Clean burning NG electric generators. Some day.

You guys don't load your stoves up? I pack it every time, not crazy filling every space but have to find pieces that fit under the cat enclosure on every load. I have never had a problem overheating the house but maybe that is because my stove is in the middle of the main living space and you guys are pushing heat from the basement? There is no delay in reaction time, adjust tstat and space nearly instantly changes. In fact, I turn it down at night and whoever gets up first turns it back up like a wall tstat. Seems like from the basement, you guys must have to plan ahead? I would make my wife a very happy if 8 or 9 cord didn't pass through our living room every year.

NATE379 said:

jtb51b said:

Jason

That would concern me since there are many other fabrication details inside the stove that you can't see that might not be optimal.

SolarAndWood said:
You guys don't load your stoves up? I pack it every time, not crazy filling every space but have to find pieces that fit under the cat enclosure on every load. I have never had a problem overheating the house but maybe that is because my stove is in the middle of the main living space and you guys are pushing heat from the basement? There is no delay in reaction time, adjust tstat and space nearly instantly changes. In fact, I turn it down at night and whoever gets up first turns it back up like a wall tstat. Seems like from the basement, you guys must have to plan ahead? I would make my wife a very happy if 8 or 9 cord didn't pass through our living room every year.

My trouble over heating is in the fall & spring. It gets in the 20s at night & 40 daytime & some days the sun (it still has some heat until next month) helps heat the house. I have the stove as low as I can burn it during the day & night. It's more the outside weather conditions that vary that are hard to keep up with. When winter sets in, I do like you descried & don't get the 76 ° house temps.
When we are getting high 30 to mid 40s at night, 50 - 60 days I make small fires at night that are out or almost out during the daytime, or the house gets in the 80s.
Lately, house temp have stabilized, day time it's getting to the high 30s nights in the 20s, full loads, 24 hr burns. Soon, 20s will be our highs, but still no need to crank it up much until we get the below zero temps (usually Jan & Feb).
I burn 5-1/2 cords for the season, Oct - April, (last winter usage) so the stove & the house are pretty efficient.
Our birch tested out : 23,600,000 BTU/Cord, so pretty good wood when comparing it to other hardwoods. I mean it's not oak or locust, but it the best we have.
http://forestry.alaska.gov/pdfs/08BTUFirewoodHandout.pdf

NATE379 said:

jtb51b said:

Jason

Wow, my door has a washer stacked under it to align it to the door gasket.. I wish I could go more since its still close... I mentioned this to them and was told that once upon a time the doors were fitted to the stove and sold as a set but these days with all the different finishes they no longer are able. I like the design of the stove but there are a bunch of shortcomings with this stove that add up quickly.. As I have said before, does the job but I would and will never buy another one!

Jason

I would hate to be the one that got a stove with a crooked door, bad paint job and a broken latch.

Yeah, me too.. I fought it for a while but quit before I cut off my nose so to speak.. Good lesson learned tho.. I am just glad it still is able to do the job well enough.. Probably mid winter I'll be irritated again but oh well!

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.