Paint on New Stoves: Questions for stove owners, sellers & sweeps. What have you experience or hear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

53flyer

Oct 21, 2009
Eastern WA
Just a few questions irt what's normal for a first burn. I'm also hoping to hear "strange" first burn stories people have experienced (or heard someone else experienced). Basically looking for something other than "everything went normally". Thanks for looking.

1. Carbon Monoxide on first burn? On the 1st burn, the monitor registered around 40 then slowly went back to 0 over approximately a 3hr period. I opened a few windows to help get it out quicker. I thought it might be due to a leak in the connection between the stove exhaust hole and the liner, stove paint curing, a binding agent in Rockwool melting, or some sort of a combination of these.

On the 2nd burn I did a few things (temporary precautions) to block what I thought were "possible" areas that CO could leak into the room (from behind the insert) and got no CO indication whatsoever. I systematically removed all temporary precautions and still got no CO reading. The CO detector hasn't moved from zero since that first burn. So is that a normal occurrence that others have experienced on their first burns??? Hopefully other people had a CO monitor running on their first burns, otherwise there's no way to know if it happened or not.

2. Bad paint or normal reactions? During first few burns the inside paint getting a really wet look to it and even seeming to have a little dribble line in a few places? Also, the paint seemed to peel off in a few spots (in sizes as big as 1-2in by 1-3in). I saw what I believe to have been a piece of it hanging from the inside top of an area of the stove but it must have fallen off because it eventually disappeared.

Just bumping to see if some fresh eyes might get a reply. Thanks

All I've experienced or heard of is the classic smell of a new hot stove. Never had a CO detector on, but I'm sure not suprised by your experience.

Had a first burn 24 years ago, and another first burn last year. Both were on flat black painted cast iron freestanding stoves. In both cases, we had some paint odor that lasted through 3 or 4 breakin burns at increasing temperatures. In both cases, the paint got a little softer while the stove was hot, and hardened when cool. In both cases, the paint got a bit duller, or flatter, looking after the burns. In both cases, the paint on the pipes underwent the same transformation as the paint on the stove, except as noted below.

In the more recent case, I also had an issue with the paint on the 2 new elbows in my pipe installation. On both elbows, the paint blistered a bit, and continued to do so more and more with each passing burn until the paint flaked off completely. I now have two bare, unpainted elbows, with dark blue oxide finish on them. Soon, I will be repainting them. Oddly enough, the straight pipe section showed no blistering or flaking. I'm guessing that the elbows were not properly painted at the factory, with either defective paint or defective surface preparation. I think a can of Stove Bright will take care of it, though I'll have to deal with a little paint smell on the first burns next season again.

So, I don't think the odor you experienced is unusual at all. I don't know about CO, but I would not be surprised by low levels as part of the paint baking fumes. It's unlikely that the CO came from a leak, unless your draft is marginal. I don't think flaking paint is normal, but an indication of some sort of paint or surface prep issue.

53flyer said:
2. Bad paint or normal reactions? During first few burns the inside paint getting a really wet look to it and even seeming to have a little dribble line in a few places? Also, the paint seemed to peel off in a few spots (in sizes as big as 1-2in by 1-3in). I saw what I believe to have been a piece of it hanging from the inside top of an area of the stove but it must have fallen off because it eventually disappeared.

I'm confused by the term "inside paint". Does this refer to inside the firebox? If so, don't worry about it. After a few hot fires the firebox will be coated with a fine ash powder.

What stove are we talking about 53? It ain't the Quad. After this much time there isn't any paint, never was, inside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.