Paint or Polish? Restore an old cast iron Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonsered

Feb 7, 2010
Woodstock CT
So would you guys recommend a stove paint or stove polish to bring back some of the exterior beauty of an original Jotul 118? I picked one up for a friend which I noted in a different thread only to find that he was given a free stove and was no longer interested in the 118. I decided before I sell it I will do some refurb and then sell it as a nice looking unit. I plan to scuff the sides/top/back etc. and am looking for advice on both the scuffing and the re finishing (black) of the stove.

Thanks!

Nate

Pics for reference...as you can see it is going to require some elbow grease.

Nate

Attachments

• side panel1.jpg
    side panel1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 581
  • back panel 1.jpg
    back panel 1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 526
I would think paint for that puppy. Check out Coaly's threads on what he does with the old Fishers, blasts them with walnut hulls or sumpin!

Go over it with a wire brush and a wire wheel brush on a drill. The clean off the surface, vacuum all dust and degrease with lacquer thinner or alcohol. Spray it with Stove Brite - outdoors or in a very well ventilated area wearing a mask.

I agree with BG. that stove looks like it should turn out nicely. Did you figure out what you'll be selling it for?

If this is for resale, I would paint it satin black. Colors are more of an individual taste.

BeGreen said:
Go over it with a wire brush and a wire wheel brush on a drill. The clean off the surface, vacuum all dust and degrease with lacquer thinner or alcohol. Spray it with Stove Brite - outdoors or in a very well ventilated area wearing a mask.
aint that gonna leave scratchmarks ?
steelwool rub instead?

quote]aint that gonna leave scratchmarks ?
steelwool rub instead?[/quote]

No Scratch marks, Pook. I've done 50 - 75 stoves with a wire wheel & they end up looking brandy new
after the paint is applied....
But I will throw in this: along with a dust mask WEAR A FULL FACE SHIELD.
Those little wires fly all over the place, & you'll have piercings in places that you probably don't want em.

DAKSY said:
quote]aint that gonna leave scratchmarks ?
steelwool rub instead?

No Scratch marks, Pook. I've done 50 - 75 stoves with a wire wheel & they end up looking brandy new
after the paint is applied....
But I will throw in this: along with a dust mask WEAR A FULL FACE SHIELD.
Those little wires fly all over the place, & you'll have piercings in places that you probably don't want em.[/quote]so the gauge of the wire dont matter?

[/quote]so the gauge of the wire dont matter?[/quote]

Not really. Most wire wheels are gonna have very small diameter wires anyway...
But I'd use an air driven rotary tool - rather than a drill - to generate the higher RPM.
If there's a worry about damage, a brass or other soft alloy wire wheel could be used...

Alright so I'll clean it and wipe it down with thinner and then I can paint with black stove brite...thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.