Paint peeling from my new Vermont Castings Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevehow04841

Sep 24, 2008
Mid-coast, Maine
Good morning folks. I am very new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. If I'm not, please accept my apologies. I just purchased a new Vermont Castings, Encore (Cat) stove. We've had it installed a little over a month and completed the break process last week. We were told to increase the temp 100 degrees each time to allow the cast iron to expand and cool. We did all that as requested. Yesterday my other half used the stove for what I'd call was the first official time since the break in period. She stated the stove reached about 550 degrees and the paint around the welds started to peel. I came home about an hour after it starting. The stove had then cooled down to 500 degrees. The stove looks fine structually, but it looks bad with all this paint that has peeled away. The areas of the peel were on the right and left side where the welds meet the front facing. It also peeled under the lip of the top plate. It's basically like taking three sides of a square and having the paint peel way on the weld joints. I can't see any other areas where the paint peeled. This certainly wasn't from extreme heat that I'm aware of. Any ideas what would cause this? Should I be concerned of some structual damage?
Thank you----Steve

Hmmm....that ain't right. I would get on the horn to your dealer and request an on site visit. There is some 'splaining to do.
Assuming that your break in fires were done correctly, a stove top temp of 550 should have zero effect on the paint peeling.

Edit: kinda sounds like they painted over "not so clean" metal.

This sounds like an enameling defect due to bad surface prep. But to be sure, is the stove painted - classic black, or is it enameled?

Definitely have the dealer look at it. Let us know what he said.

Good luck!

Can you post some photos for us VC owners?

Good luck with the dealer, and call the new Vermont Castings, if you do not get satisfaction.

good luck, havent heard much about VC being very good when it comes to dealer assistance and what the factory will waranty

Valhalla said:
Can you post some photos for us VC owners?

Good luck with the dealer, and call the new Vermont Castings, if you do not get satisfaction.

Yes, do call the NEW Vermont Castings and give them a chance, if your selling dealer does not step in.

VC corporate please take note.

Status
Not open for further replies.