Paint peeling off of my stove – what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwsj12

Sep 1, 2008
WI
I have a Regency I2400 (1.5 years old) that has the paint peeling off the stove in the passage where the hot air flows out with the blower. This is basically at the “roof” of the firebox. This started about 1 week ago. I cannot really get to the spot to “repaint” it, nor is it a cosmetic issue as you cannot even see this area without a peering in with a flashlight. The paint is sometimes blowing out onto the floor in front of the unit when the blower is on.

What to do? Is this a safely issue? Are these paint chips toxic / dangerous? Is this a manufacturing defect (through a search of these forums this does not seem common)? Should I call the dealer that installed the unit?

There was somebody on here asking earlier about their blower (I2400 I think) sending out little flakes of something. I imagine you two have the same issue. Since it isn't a cosmetic issue and the chips aren't a safety issue, unless you begin snacking on them I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps mention it to your dealer in case it happens to more paint on your stove, but I would keep burning with no concerns.

On an unrelated note, you may want to pull off your blower assembly (gently pry it off) and clean it out really well. I was amazed how much dust and hair had accumulated in there.

I would suggest letting the dealer AND the mfgr know about the issue (in writing if possible) even if you don't expect or desire corrective action today. This could be the first sign of a larger issue, or it could be something that they need to hear about from a large number of folks before they fix it. If nothing else, if you (and others) who see this issue report it, perhaps they will find and resolve it for future models. May not help you, but may help others. If nobody (or very few) bothers to report it then likely the issue won't be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.