Paint Still Smells?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwit

Jan 2, 2010
long island
I've been burning a Clydesdale for almost a week now and the paint smells inside are pretty much gone. The unit backs up into my garage and I'm getting almost a chemical smell in the garage. Is this normal? I used high temp silicone around the block plate, but not on the liner. Last night I got my highest temps. about 525 f.

The smells continue until fully baked off or on. The higher you go, you may get more smells. Its the nature of the beast!

From what I understand, everytime you hit a new high temp, you will get the smell. If you crank it up to 700, it will cure up to that temp so when you burn at 650, you won't get any smell.

Yip, mine smelled with each new high temp.
And you should have been there the night the flue hit a high (too high) temp.

Thanks for all the responses, my concern is it smells more in the garage than in the house.

newtothis said:
Thanks for all the responses, my concern is it smells more in the garage than in the house.

To help figure this one out I image a bit more info is in order.

You say it backs to the garage - what sort of flue do you have? What exactly separates the garage from the back of the stove? Does the flue go through the garage in any way? etc...

It's an insulated 6'' liner in a zc. The flue goes into the garage and out through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.