Paint Stovepipe to match Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardieca209

Jan 28, 2010
Nor Cal
Getting ready to order/install Jotul Castine with the Brown Majolica coating. This will be placed on a raised hearth covered with "california gold" slate tiles. I am going to use Simpson Dura-Vent DVL double wall stovepipe. I would like to paint this stovepipe brown so as to better match the stove.

1. Has anyone done this?
2. Anyone know a close match in high temp aerosol?
3. Anyone think this is a bad idea due to durability concerns?
4. Other info?

As you all know this woodstove stuff can get very expensive and I would like to get as much info as possible before ruining expensive pipe.

THANKS!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping to not have to guess using the online color cards. Since every monitor is different and the pdf is pretty grainy.

I guess I was looking more for someone who has done this. I know I'm not the first to think of it. I am curious how the paint will hold up (cracking/peeling/ flaking etc) and it seems to me the brown coating is common amongst most brands (jotul/hearthstone/hampton) so I figured someone may have done this before and could save me some time/money with the color match process.

Thanks again. Worst case scenario I guess I'll just have to buy all the browns they make and find out for myself!

Woodstock paintd my pipe to match my stove and it looks great with no cracking or peeling. Looks great!

Word of advice, although it is a good paint, do not use StoveBrite paints on Simpson DVL pipe. They are incompatible.

The reason I know is I did this, being supplied by the installer this paint to touch up a few scratches by their work. The initial results looked great. Then to my horror, the whole area started alligatoring and I ended up with a mess. The problem appears to be that StoveBrite is an acetone based paint and Simpson DVL paint is not. I did find that Krylon high temp satin black is compatible, but their satin was a bit glossier than the factory paint, so I'd contact Simpson for recommendation. Be sure to do a test swatch first on an inconspicuous area before committing to painting the whole pipe.

Welcome!

You can paint it any high temp. paint color that
is available to complement the stove enamel finish.
There are many choices.

We use the standard black to go with granite and
grey slate in the stove room. Your choices sound
excellent.

Keep a spare can handy to touch up after cleanings.
Prep wipe the pipe with alcohol before painting.
Test paint a sample spot first. Try the seam side
(back of the pipe) to do this.

Edit: Listen also to BeGreen's advice of experience.

BeGreen- This is exactly the kind of insight I was looking for. Thanks! I never thought to ask Simpson what product they recommend.

hardi, Forrest Paint's "#6230 "Goldenfire Brown" might be an excellent color complement for the Brown Majolica on your Castine. The "Goldenfire Brown" appears to have microscopic specs of gold color when the paint has dried. This color would be a good starting point in your search for a high temp paint approved by the Simpson Company.

The comment by BeGreen rekindled my memory of the search process I went through when I was looking for a color to match the green/gold combination on my PE. I do recall reading somewhere about certain paints recommended and not recommended by some manufacturers. I even recalled reading about the "alligator" effect mentioned by BeGreen. However, I cannot recall the specifics of my search and would recommend you follow-up on BeGreen's advice. I just finished a quick search for the vague info I recall and could not find it. I cannot imagine why I would have chosen the StoveBrite brand contrary to Simpson's recommendation but it certainly appears I might have. I even recall talking to the techs at Forrest Paint and Simpson about the compatibility. Wish I could be more specific.

I will add, however, that I did paint my Simpson DVL pipe with the "Goldenfire Brown" and the finish is flawless. My recommendation is that you NOT do what I did just because MY effort was successful. Follow BeGreen's advice "... so I'd contact Simpson for recommendation."

Hopefully, these comments helped narrow your search a little.

Best wishes and good luck with your Castine.

John_M

Status
Not open for further replies.