Painted brick outside fireplace a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmann

Jan 23, 2014
Rockville, MD
Getting our Mansfield 8012 stove installed today. We are concerned that the bricks painted outside the fireplace are not painted with heat resistant paint (done before we moved in). Any way to tell? Or test? The stove will sit out on the brick about 12 inches, so the brick will only have a few inches in some areas. If it is a concern - any easy way to fix this?

photo (2).JPG

It usually is not a problem but if it turns out to be you can pull the surround wire brush off the paint and repaint wit a high temp paint. But most situations like this I have seen it has not been an issue.

It usually is not a problem but if it turns out to be you can pull the surround wire brush off the paint and repaint wit a high temp paint. But most situations like this I have seen it has not been an issue.

when you say it "turns out to be" - what would the outcome be? Leaking paint? or risk of fire?

I appreciate the quick response!

you might get discoloration of the paint maybe some fumes

I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the new heater! Rick

Gotta be latex paint. Which doesn't have a flash point when dry. And my steel stove sits half in and half out of the fireplace and the bricks immediately over it have never measured hotter than 198 degrees F. With the stove running twice as hot as you will ever get that Manny.

Load, light and enjoy. I am envious. Always wanted one of those big rocks.

My stove is only a couple of inches from the bricks. Did you have your fireplace modified to accommodate a stove. I would like to set up my hearth like yours so I can fit a bigger stove.

We did not modify our fireplace. It just barely fits in there by 1/4". I'll update with some pics of the stove in the fireplace. It looks and functions great (well - at least in our opinion)

Mine is painted as well. Not sure what ype of paint (latex I assume) but I have never had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.