Painted flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

realstihl

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2007
eastern kansas
Due to a hail storm I had to have my house re-shingeled. The crew did an awsome job, but I didn't like the fact that they painted the flue pipe. How long will the paint last? There are two flues. One is for the fireplace on first floor and one is for the woodstove in basement. The flue pipe for the woodstove is stainless and about 2' is exposed. I don't think it should have been painted. Any thoughts? Thanks!

If they just slapped some regular old house paint on them, it's probably not going to last very long...at least not looking good. If they actually used the proper type of paint, and prepared the surfaces correctly, it could last quite a while. Rick

This stainless chimney was painted with latex house paint to match the house. The picture was taken 10 years later, right before we repainted the house. The chimney didn't need repainting

Attachments

• pjhs.jpg
    pjhs.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 206
Dang! Looks good, Tom. Was there a coat of any sort of primer put on first? Rick

Rick, I don't know. We installed the chimney while the house was being built, and the contractor had it painted after we were gone. When our installers paint the portion of a stainless chimney that extends below the ceiling, they wipe it down with denatured alcohol first, let it dry thoroughly, then use Stove Bright spray paint. That technique lasts for years and years as well.

I imagine that above the roofline (or even anywhere above the ceiling adapter), the insulated chimney could probably be painted with darn near any decent paint, so long as the metal was nicely cleaned first. Seems to make sense to me...not like we're talking about the stove itself here, or single-wall pipe that sees high temps. (That's a pretty darned interesting looking house, BTW). Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.