painted stone mantel combustable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnerd

Feb 16, 2014
Delaware
I'm getting close to finishing my Oslo project. I had a thought, could the paint be an issue? I filled the inside with Roxul to keep the mantel from getting hot so I might be able to put a picture or something on it. I'm planning on filling the 8" gap with sheet metal over the weekend. The face of the surround will be exposed to the heat coming off the stove.

Regardless of insulation, the mantel is going to get quite warm in some places with an stove in that close proximity. Maybe a tintype photo?

I wasn't really expecting to be able to put a picture up there, maybe a tin toy or something like that. I also was thinking it would be extra insurance from keeping heat away from the wood lath and baseboard. I did cut any combustible material back so that the mantal just covered it when I had the mantel off the wall. I put a lot of effort into making sure I had no hiden combustals behind the mantle.

Status
Not open for further replies.