Painting a bath tub

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Many years ago I had a bath tub refinished. The guy did an excellent job and it has stood up well to use. Now I want to do my other bath tub and he's not around.

I have painted cars and I have done construction work in my youth. My question is what is a good paint to use.

I google bath tub paint and I get all kinds of people selling it. I have read reviews where some of it seems to be worthless and some seems to be good.

Can any of you give me some recommendations? This is for a porcilen bath tub.

The only two times i`ve seen this were on TV and applied to cast tubs,,,each time the tub was taken out to sand blast,,keep us posted, for I would like to learn more also.

I just wish the box stores would start selling tub liners so I wouldn't have to pay triple markup and labor for some guy with thirty minutes training to come put the thing in.

For what it's worth, I did a lot of research on this subject several years ago and concluded that it was really not a DIY job. This plus the fact that any recoating project would have put the only bathtub/shower out of commission for too long led to a Bathfitter brand fiberglass insert. This has held up very well for going on 10 years. The installers were highly professional and the entire job was completed in a day. It was not cheap, but I'm very happy with the value received.

Status
Not open for further replies.