Painting a Pellet Stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thephotohound

Apr 19, 2007
Central Massachusetts
I inherited an Enviro EF2 Pellet Stove with the optional 24K gold painted door. It has gold trim, too, but those just pop off. My wife is not too fond of the gold (actually, she hates it) and would like it to just be flat black, like the rest of the stove. Obviously, I'll be fixing this problem...

The issue is how? I know I can get a black replacement door from Enviro for $150. However, if I sand the gold (sounds terrible, doesn't it?) can't I just paint the thing?

Good luck sanding that gold plating off. You'd be better off sending it off to someone to have it sandblasted or wheelabrated.

yep. I've done it before. You don't have to remove the plating just rough it up and paint away. It does feel weird though painting over the gold that someone dropped an extra 3 bills on.

You might be able to burn it off. One of the engineers of a stove MFG told me how they tried to melt the gold off a bunch of panels and doors headed for the scrap heap and it just burned up and vanished. I don't know what kind of temps it would take to do that though.

Go to a local bodyshop and ask if they will sand blast it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.