Painting and Spacing Durock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McCheez

Mar 31, 2016
Central IL
Hi guys.
New to the forum.. ya'll seem to really know your stuff.
I have done some googling and a quick search on this forum.

I am installing a Logwood Camp Stove Model 2421C in my garage (no vehicles park in it, no flammables stored either).
The stove is 38"D and 25"W. According to the stove manufacturer, I have approved clearances of 26" from back, 34" from sides to the nearest combustible surface.
According to my AmFam insurance agent (actually their packet of info regarding wood stoves that she sent me), I can reduce that approved clearance by 66% if using Durock with a 1 inch spacer. That puts my stove at 9" clearance from back, 12" on the sides. Stove is being installed in corner of room.
I don't plan to cover the durock with brick, stone, etc, but would like to paint it to match my walls.
I read some people experienced cracking in paint, which I believe is normal for cement board.
Do you recommend any type of paint that would work? High heat? Enamel? What about adding cement color to mortar and applying it in a "stucco" fashion? Trying to save a few bucks.
Also what would you do for spacers? Predrill some metal studs and attach to wall?
I thought I would predrill and countersink the screws in my durock to prevent cracking .
And when measuring from stove to wall in a corner, do I measure from the corner of the stove? I would think so..

BTW existing walls are drywall, concrete floor. Stove is going out roof.

Thx

Bear in mind that while cement is not combustible, it does transfer heat- so if there is something flammable near the stove, it may catch fire with or without a piece of cement board between itself and the stove. The cement board will spread the heat and absorb a little, but it still releases all of it eventually.

Definitely check your local codes to see if they agree with your insurance company's allowable reduction in clearances.

Rustoleum high heat or colored mortar/stucco are both cheap. I'd go with the spraypaint, myself- it will cure in a couple fires, and you might crack the stucco trying to cure it with a fire.

Reactions: McCheez
Hi guys.
New to the forum.. ya'll seem to really know your stuff.
I have done some googling and a quick search on this forum.

I am installing a Logwood Camp Stove Model 2421C in my garage (no vehicles park in it, no flammables stored either).
The stove is 38"D and 25"W. According to the stove manufacturer, I have approved clearances of 26" from back, 34" from sides to the nearest combustible surface.
According to my AmFam insurance agent (actually their packet of info regarding wood stoves that she sent me), I can reduce that approved clearance by 66% if using Durock with a 1 inch spacer. That puts my stove at 9" clearance from back, 12" on the sides. Stove is being installed in corner of room.
I don't plan to cover the durock with brick, stone, etc, but would like to paint it to match my walls.
I read some people experienced cracking in paint, which I believe is normal for cement board.
Do you recommend any type of paint that would work? High heat? Enamel? What about adding cement color to mortar and applying it in a "stucco" fashion? Trying to save a few bucks.
Also what would you do for spacers? Predrill some metal studs and attach to wall?
I thought I would predrill and countersink the screws in my durock to prevent cracking .
And when measuring from stove to wall in a corner, do I measure from the corner of the stove? I would think so..

BTW existing walls are drywall, concrete floor. Stove is going out roof.

Thx
I think 12" is the maximum allowable reduction unless the stove company has tested for closer clearance and published this in the manual.

Bear in mind that while cement is not combustible, it does transfer heat- so if there is something flammable near the stove, it may catch fire with or without a piece of cement board between itself and the stove. The cement board will spread the heat and absorb a little, but it still releases all of it eventually.

Definitely check your local codes to see if they agree with your insurance company's allowable reduction in clearances.

Rustoleum high heat or colored mortar/stucco are both cheap. I'd go with the spraypaint, myself- it will cure in a couple fires, and you might crack the stucco trying to cure it with a fire.
Thanks.. I did call local building inspector. He said there was nothing in the books pertaining to free standing wood burners.. I understand cement board still retains heat, but with the 1 inch spacers in between, I seriously doubt I will have an issue.
My friend had the exact model in his garage almost just as close (osb, not sheetrock) without any cement board. He has some rolling hot fires without an issue.
I told him he is a dummy, but he never listens to me..

I think 12" is the maximum allowable reduction unless the stove company has tested for closer clearance and published this in the manual.
Without anything, insurance requires a solid 36, unless the stove state otherwise.
According to amfam, they require 36" unless the stove states otherwise and/or you use alternative protective measures..
He may be thinking of building code. Tell the inspector to read NFPA 12.6.2.1 or print this page out for them.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/nfpa-wall-clearance-reductions/
This article goes into more detail:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/
Thanks.
I actually have that exact table (first link) from amfam.
The only difference is on mine, above the second column on the right where it shows the minimum clearance at 12", mine states "Clearances shown below are minimum allowable where required clearance with no protection is 36("). For other required clearances with with no protection, calculate minimum allowable from maximum allowable reduction."
Here is a thought. My agent told me that 36" was the rule for amfam, unless I have cement board, etc. So without protection I have to be 36". Therefore, according to that, I think you are right.. 12". Which is no biggie. 3 inches.

And then below at the bottom of the page it says there are 2 exceptions, 1 being if the unit was tested in an approved facility and sports a tag that says otherwise (mine does). So unprotected, my stove is labeled at 26" from back, 34" from side. So that means I can deduct 66% with cement board with adequate spacing. Right or wrong?
Page 10.

Attachments

• getDocument.do (1).pdf
    226.8 KB · Views: 383
Status
Not open for further replies.