Painting enamel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKay

Jan 21, 2008
SW. Pennsylvania
Canan enamel finished stove be painted? I have an opportunity to get a 1 yr old Jotul insert but the color is less than ideal for my house.

It will have a tough time bonding to the porcelain. You could sand down the gloss to give the paint more tooth to bite on, but it won't be the same and may degrade the value of the stove. What color is it?

If its only a year old the color shouldn't be too bad! There are only a few colors available. What color is it?

Could you use a chemical etching process to essentially put a tooth on the enamel before spray painting? You might be able to use something like tri-sodium phosphate to roughen the surface enough to get a new coat of paint to stick.

Check out VHT's line of products, used for painting headers and other hot items, they also have some prep stuff that would help it stick better to the enamel.

can0000flameproof.gif

Why not use it for a year or two, the color may grow on you.
Enamel is baked on, even roughing it up is not guarantee the new paint will stick, and stay stuck over time.
In a year or two, you may end up liking the color, or not even really caring at that point.

I can't imagine painting an enamel stove! I really think you will regret the decision! If its a bad color I'd bet its older than 1 year. To my knowledge, all that's available is black, blue/black, Jotul Iron, and Brown enamel on the 550.

The Oslo is still available in 5 colors. Green, Brown, Blue Black, Black and White.

Status
Not open for further replies.