Painting/finishing a baby gate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2015
Salem, NY
My 2 year old hasn't given us any trouble with the wood stove, but I can't trust her little sister. I'm building a fence/gate to keep her away from the stove but not sure how to finish it.The plan is to used EMT conduit which I'll weld together. With grinding off the galvanizing and welding it will need some kind of finish. I've seen many high temp paints that require heat curing, but I'm afraid standard paints will smoke, bubble or otherwise deteriorate. Also if I'm following all of the rules, I should be using a non-combustible paint anyway. Some parts of the gate will be within about 10"-12" of the firebox. It may not stop curious fingers, but it will keep the little one from falling onto the stove. With unrestricted airflow it shouldn't get too hot, but I'd rather not gamble with it, smelling up the house and making more work in refinishing. Can anyone recommend a high temp paint that can dry/cure at room temperature? I'll consider all options, but since this is probably temporary, inexpensive would be best.

If you search amazon anline you will find prefab gates for less then the cost of the paint just an FYI. You should not need high tempmpaint at 12 inches IMHO

Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide Gate and Play Yard, White

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VNKLIY/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Maybe more then high temp paint but if your time has any value you may look into this.

Napa sells high temp paint in spray cans for car engines.

The paint on the baby gate will not be exposed to extremes of heat that the stove sees. If it did your child would be at risk of a burn by touching the gate. A good quality metal paint from Rustoleum or similar should be fine, but there is no harm in using a good high temp paint either. There are lots of choices.

Thanks,
I've seen the gates, but between the plastic involved and the fact that they won't fit the hearth very well I've decided to invest the time in a custom build. I'm not sure what temperatures to expect, but I found that Rustoleum is rated for 200F, so I think it should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.