Painting inside of fireplace prior to insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deep wood

Jul 20, 2008
AK
The Lopi Pioneer Bay pellet insert recommends painting the interior of the fireplace with latex paint prior to installation (to prevent fireplace odors from entering the home).
My fireplace is factory built (metal). Does anyone have any advice on cleaning and painting a metal fireplace? Should I prime with a latex primer?

Thanks in advance

Any hardware store or home center should have a selection of glass/brick/masonry cleaners in the fireplace section. I'd pick one and use it to clean out the soot and creosote deposits with a scrub brush. Wipe dry and wipe out again with a damp rag and then brush on some flat black metal paint, maybe high heat bbq paint.
Paint isn't really going to help with stopping fireplace odour in your case if you clean it properly first since the metal isn't porous. It will just stop rust from forming back there on the bare metal.

deep wood said:
.....Does anyone have any advice on cleaning and painting a metal fireplace? Should I prime with a latex primer?.....

I think that if you can't get the metal completely dirt/soot/rust free, I'd use the primer.....don't think it can hurt, but it can help. just my 2 cents.

It's done. First I used a wire brush while using the shop vac. Next I washed and scrubbed with a scotch bright bad. After half a dozen water changes things were reasonably clean (The fireplace was a combination of sheet metal and fire brick). I found a partial can of gray latex primer/sealer in my shop and brushed on two coats. I'm pleased with the results. Thank you everyone for the advice.

Sorry to tell you this but latex primer won't stop rust. Next time use a product called Rusty Iron Primer by Rustoleum. It will stop the rust and after that you can use any top-coat you wish. Rust will come right through latex but that rusty iron primer is made to stop rust and it does.

charles u farley said:
It's really just to stop the smoke smell from leeching out of the firebrick. Fresh rust on the steel portion was just a secondary consideration. The OP should be fine with any paint.

You're still going to get the chimney smell coming back down the chimney every time the weather changes. You're not going to paint that!

Status
Not open for further replies.