Painting Stainless Chimney Cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulF

Nov 19, 2005
I am going to install a 29" x 29" chimney cap made of stainless steel. I plan to paint it black for a better match with the house.

What kind of paint adheres to stainless steel? I have some of the 1200 degree spray paint. Would it work?

PaulF

Worth a try. Sand the surface to be painted with some 100 grit paper. Then clean well with alchohol or other solvent. You want the paint to adhere well.

Break or carb cleaner work to remove oils

Sanding it a little with add tooth to the surface. The paint will adhere better.

Looks like everyone has the right idea, but you have to use them in the right order.

1) Wash and scrub the cap in detergent and water to remove the bulk any oils that may be present from manufacturing and handling.

2) Dry with clean towels

3) Use a wax/grease remover to clean up any residual grease. Now you need to be careful not to get oil and grease from your hands back on the freshly cleaned metal, so use clean gloves or handle the parts with a clean towel from here on out.

4) Sand the surface with a good silicon carbide (for metal) sanding paper. If you are looking for a super gloss finish, you may want to start with something around 220 grit and finish with something around 320. If you are going matte black, the 220 should be fine on it's own.

5) Wipe up all your sanding dust.

6) Apply the paint quickly after sanding - don't wait for days. The stainless will rebuild it's protective oxide coating quickly and the paint will have a hard time sticking.

7) Enjoy!

If you don't remove wax/grease first, you are really just sanding them into the surface and it will be very hard to remove.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.