Q&A Painting the Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My question concerns the credibility of my general contractor. When drywalling and painting the home that I am building his subs got the fireplace vents and frame covered with drywall and paint. He says that he is going to paint over it and that it is NO BIG DEAL!!! MY question is should I be satisfied wth this (he claims that this is something that happens all the time). I am wondering if I should be demanding A new fireplace to be installed or if that would be over- reacting.I know that there is heat resistant paint for this but if it was you would you be happy with his answer and solution. What about down the road and what about appearance? Please answer me as if you were the one buying this house

Answer:

Those vents are not really painted with anything too special, so regular heat-resistant (BBQ type) paint or stove paint will surely do the trick. Not a bad idea to clean them will first with a little fine steel wool. Then they'll be as good as new.

I don't think a new fireplace is needed at all, since these parts are usually simply spray painted at the factory also.

Status
Not open for further replies.