Painting the stove inside..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I have had both my stoves for three years and am debating putting a nice new coat of stove bright on them prior to this heating season.

The problem is, there is no way I'm gonna drag them outside.

Has anyone ever painted their stove while inside the house? Was it a bad idea?

You can do it, but you'll need a couple of BIG drop cloths to cover the floors & furniture from over spray. You will also have to open LOTS of windows or the hi-temp paint will fry your brain. I've done it a bunch of times, & my brain was fried in the 70s, so there isn't much left to worry about. Be careful with where you're aiming the can & you should be OK....Good Luck!

Reactions: jeff_t and PapaDave
You probably don't want to have anyone else in the house at the time. The concern about frying brain cells is serious. Use an organic vapor mask and have lots of windows open with a fan exhausting the fumes.

Reactions: jeff_t
For sure this is a task best done out of the house.

I have had both my stoves for three years and am debating putting a nice new coat of stove bright on them prior to this heating season.

The problem is, there is no way I'm gonna drag them outside.

Has anyone ever painted their stove while inside the house? Was it a bad idea?

I just painted a Harman Invincible inside the house. Pull it out away from the walls and put a tarp under the stove. Wire brush any rust, then smooth it with emory cloth. You can use a die grinder if the rust has bubled up to really smooth it out! then use then clean the stove good with a rag and Acetone. Don't rub too hard Acetone takes the paint right off. Just lightly rub to get the dirt and oils off. Then mask the stove with blue 2" wide masking tape and Paint. Simple!

I use VHT Flame Proof Very High Temp 2,000 Deg F - Flat Black from the Auto store used on car headers for inside the fire box. Prepare surface the same way.

Click pics to Enlarge!

Attachments

• IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1772.JPG
    IMG_1772.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 432
Reactions: DAKSY
I repainted my insert while in place. Fumes were not bad and no issues.

Reactions: webby3650
I have re-painted many stoves in the house. Not a total rust bucket, but a nice all over coat, and have never had any long lasting smells or any evidence of overspray on anything. Just watch where you are spraying and you'll be fine. Make sure to spray the Stove Bright can at a piece of cardboard or something first, a little of the clear goo will come out first. It stinks, don't get me wrong, just get some air moving and you'll be fine!

I once sprayed an old round top fridge at a trailer repair shop I worked at back in 1985. I was like 19 yrs old. It was in a break room and I got a buzz. So I decided to dance around to the tunes I had playing on the radio, spraying the paint directly at my face breathing it in. I understand why people huff chit LOL. I was toast. The foreman walked in and screamed "Come down off your high" LOL.
My entire face and hair in front was silver. Along with my nostrils inside. When I came down, it was not a good feeling. And the metallic taste in my nose, sinuses and throat lasted a couple days.
No, I don't do that anymore. Never did again after that.

Back on topic, per the manufacturer when I spoke to them about repainting mine, they advised just spray enough to lightly coat it. You do not want to go heavy. They said it will end up failing if you put it on too thick.

I once sprayed an old round top fridge at a trailer repair shop I worked at back in 1985. I was like 19 yrs old. It was in a break room and I got a buzz. So I decided to dance around to the tunes I had playing on the radio, spraying the paint directly at my face breathing it in. I understand why people huff chit LOL. I was toast. The foreman walked in and screamed "Come down off your high" LOL.
My entire face and hair in front was silver. Along with my nostrils inside. When I came down, it was not a good feeling. And the metallic taste in my nose, sinuses and throat lasted a couple days.
No, I don't do that anymore. Never did again after that.

Back on topic, per the manufacturer when I spoke to them about repainting mine, they advised just spray enough to lightly coat it. You do not want to go heavy. They said it will end up failing if you put it on too thick.

!!! HOLY CRAP MAN !.......LOL

I have painted my pellet stoves and wood stove inside.

For some its not an option, but I use a Leaf blower (electric). I use the Leaf blower on pellet stoves for cleaning also, but that gave me the idea. It sucks copious amounts of air through the flue. So this summer, I painted my 30-NC Honey Glo Brown. Placed the leaf blower on the top of my Class A (cap removed) and painted away. No smell, no overspray, no nothing. It all got sucked up the flue.

I did remove the door and taped the glass and also removed the top ceramic fiber board pieces. I was cleaning the entire thing and I wanted the easiest air flow possible, to suck the most CFM out of the stove.

Worked like a charm

I have painted my pellet stoves and wood stove inside.

For some its not an option, but I use a Leaf blower (electric). I use the Leaf blower on pellet stoves for cleaning also, but that gave me the idea. It sucks copious amounts of air through the flue. So this summer, I painted my 30-NC Honey Glo Brown. Placed the leaf blower on the top of my Class A (cap removed) and painted away. No smell, no overspray, no nothing. It all got sucked up the flue.

I did remove the door and taped the glass and also removed the top ceramic fiber board pieces. I was cleaning the entire thing and I wanted the easiest air flow possible, to suck the most CFM out of the stove.

Worked like a charm

Hey Dexter, did you post any pics of your 30-NC, I bet it looks perdy. :)

I've never spray painted a stove inside, but have painted a stove and insert inside the house using a paint brush and regular flat black high temperature stove paint. If you are looking at a flat black finish you should really consider doing it that way. For one thing, you can put the paint on in a much more controlled manner and there is no over spray to deal with or clean up problems. Also, when painting by hand I think you can put the paint on thicker and get a longer lasting finish.

There is no substitute for a light coat of stove bright. Inside the house, or outside. Overspray is not a big concern. I do it almost everyday with no issues at all.

I have painted items inside the house that could not be moved easily. I built a temporary tent made of sheet plastic. Drop cloths on the floor and used a filtered mask when spraying. I think the key was to control the entryway to the tent to keep the fumes from getting out. Overall it worked for me, no overspray, no lingering fumes. Afterwards everything went into the trash can, except for the drop cloths. I also set up a portable flood/work light in the room outside the tent.

Status
Not open for further replies.