painting wood insert surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck4

Nov 6, 2009
toronto region
Can I paint the brown, thin plate steel surround of my older Napoleon wood insert, matte black with stove paint, by lightly sanding the surface? Am I inviting peeling, or should I just stick with painting it brown again?

canuck4 said:
Can I paint the brown, thin plate steel surround of my older Napoleon wood insert, matte black with stove paint, by lightly sanding the surface? Am I inviting peeling, or should I just stick with painting it brown again?

If you prepare the surface properly and use an appropriate type of paint, and apply it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, the color shouldn't make any difference. Rick

Not sure if using different brands will matter or not. Depending on their composition?
Ya might wanna see what brand of paint they used back then, and see if its available today in the color you want.
Given that, doing the rest as you described should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.