Painting Your SS Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
When I ride around gawking at houses with stainless steel chimneys, after they age, they stain at the top from smoke and creosote. I don't think the SS flues add to the look of a house vs a masonary chimney.

Having said that, has anyone painted their SS chimney black from the get-go to avoid the stainless/black stain look? Can you buy the pipe already painted?

Thanks!
Bill

i've seen a few pipes painted black. if it were me, i'd rather see a shiny rainbowish blue pipe than a flat black pipe that no matter how old it my be, it looks old. that's just my opinion. but if you paint it and not like it, it will take a lot of time to scrap and it won't be shiny any more.

I'd paint it a Terra Cotta color so it looks like a faux Chimney Pot.

I suppose a quick sanding with the electric sander and it should be good to paint.

The way you do it is to make a weak vinegar solution and rub the chimney down with that (basically degreasing the chimney) and then using a high quality paint for it. I would suggest automotive engine paint or brake paint. It's got a variety of colors (including black) and it's already forumulated to stick to metal and put up with the heat.

Now personally myself - I'm going for the whole santas-workshop look and going to paint mine red and white as though it were a bit candy cane.

Never considered it as I don't see anything wrong with the SS chimney's appearance.

tiber said:
Now personally myself - I'm going for the whole santas-workshop look and going to paint mine red and white as though it were a bit candy cane.

I like the way you think :)

madison, nice setup. that must be a nice cushion when the stove runs down the walls continue to throw heat. really nice looking. is that gloss black? how is it holding out?

madison said:
slow,

follow signature link for pics of painted class 1, inside, not outside....

I like your setup - looks really sharp. But I was looking for the candy-cane paint job so I was a little disappointed :)

fbelec said:
madison, nice setup. that must be a nice cushion when the stove runs down the walls continue to throw heat. really nice looking. is that gloss black? how is it holding out?

It is Rustoleum High Temp "Bar-B-Q Black" , texture is not listed on the can, but it matches the flat black dbl wall stovepipe coming off the top of the t6.

Heat loss to the room is minimal with class a, which is why it can be 2" from the wall. You can put your hand on it while the stove is cooking.

I think if you're burning good, well-seasoned wood and keeping up on the cleaning you shouldn't have a SS chimney with a whole lot of creosote or staining other than a bit at the top and maybe the rainbow colored effect at the very end.

As for the bright SS look . . . I thought about building a chase for my outside chimney since I figured it would really detract from the look of the house . . . but after burning a year I realized that the look wasn't all that bad and you could only really see the chimney from my neighbor's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.