Palax Power100S Firewood Processor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIMENEA

Oct 9, 2010
South Jersey

I was talking over Christmas gifts with the girlfriend and she just gave me a head shake no for the back yard.

Smart girl. You could buy a lifetime supply of firewood instead and not have to deal with maintaining or operating such a machine.

I doubt I would have much maintenance at my usage and the machine would be buried under splits after half a day anyways.

I wonder how many of these things are actually in operation. There can't be more than a couple dozen worldwide. It seem to me that the vast majority of firewood operations are way too small for this type of machinery, and most firewood comes from small operations or is cut at home.

Last sping I watched a local wood monger that normally sells firewood in log form by the grapple truckload bring some guy in with a small PTO driven processor to process firewood. I heard he was asking $100 cash-and-carry for a pickup bed loaded level with the sides. Now I don't see many long bed pickups around here and I don't know for sure if the price was adjusted for the size of the bed.

Depending on bed size, that could be somewhere between 1/6th and 1/3rd of a cord. A full cord of unprocessed wood would sell for around $100. So even by the most optimistic calculation, that would be $500 per cord of EBITDA profit minus operating and labour cost. How much wood would a wood monger have to sell to pay for a $50,000 processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.