Palazzetti Ecofire Prima Efficient It Is!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Do's fire.

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Hyde Park, NY
In comparison to my Quadrafire Castile and Palazzetti's claim of a dual burn Gaseous zone, I put together some hard numbers and here are the results.

2012-2013 86 bags, 3596 Heating degree days divided by 3440 lbs. = ,95 lbs, per Heat Degree day. 3440 lbs divided by 1194 hrs. = 2.85 lbs per hour ( Pallazzetti )
2011-2012 90 bags, 3294 H.D. Days by 3,600 lbs. = 1.093 lbs. per HDD. 3600 lb by 936 hrs. = 3.84 lbs. per hr.Stove off for season 03/11/12. ( Quad Castile )

Both stoves in this comparison used the same venting, primarily the same pellets (somersets & chows) and in 95% of the working cycle on power level 3.

The Palazzetti used a pound less per hour compared to the Quad Castile, and less than a pound per heating degree day. Heat degree days based on a base temp of 65 degrees USA.

IMHO heating the downstairs of a 1950 2X4 wall Cape Cod, the Palazzetti also produced a much higher convection air temp averaged 265 degrees than the Quadrafire. The Palazzetti is quieter and did a better job of heating my older home.

I have switched to Softies this year, I will be interested how well I do with them this year. As for my wife and I, we couldn't be happier with our Palazzetti. :)

Reactions: EastMtn
Like they say, numbers don't lie! You made a wise choice on stove selection for efficiency and cross your fingers on sound craftmanship.

In comparison to my Quadrafire Castile and Palazzetti's claim of a dual burn Gaseous zone, I put together some hard numbers and here are the results.

2012-2013 86 bags, 3596 Heating degree days divided by 3440 lbs. = ,95 lbs, per Heat Degree day. 3440 lbs divided by 1194 hrs. = 2.85 lbs per hour ( Pallazzetti )
2011-2012 90 bags, 3294 H.D. Days by 3,600 lbs. = 1.093 lbs. per HDD. 3600 lb by 936 hrs. = 3.84 lbs. per hr.Stove off for season 03/11/12. ( Quad Castile )

Both stoves in this comparison used the same venting, primarily the same pellets (somersets & chows) and in 95% of the working cycle on power level 3.

The Palazzetti used a pound less per hour compared to the Quad Castile, and less than a pound per heating degree day. Heat degree days based on a base temp of 65 degrees USA.

IMHO heating the downstairs of a 1950 2X4 wall Cape Cod, the Palazzetti also produced a much higher convection air temp averaged 265 degrees than the Quadrafire. The Palazzetti is quieter and did a better job of heating my older home.

I have switched to Softies this year, I will be interested how well I do with them this year. As for my wife and I, we couldn't be happier with our Palazzetti. :)
Congrats, happiness is the best metric! Having said that, the pounds burned per dd, is within the margin of error. The key difference seems to be that the Pallazzetti ran more than the Castile. That could be due to the thermostat settings each stove uses.

Not sure what defines a heating degree day? Do your calculations factor in average daily outside temps as well?
What heat levels does the Pallazzetti have? Stoves are Usually more efficient at just at or above mid level heat capacity not much at their max heat levels and you were burning the Quad on max if it was on level 3. I am not doubting that the Palazzetti is more efficient, Europe has had more stringent requirements for years now so I would expect the Italian stove to be better. Just wanting to know how much better when the variables are accounted for. Does anyone know how reliable the Palazzetti's are?

Not sure what defines a heating degree day? Do your calculations factor in average daily outside temps as well?
A degree day does exactly that.

Congrats, happiness is the best metric! Having said that, the pounds burned per dd, is within the margin of error. The key difference seems to be that the Pallazzetti ran more than the Castile. That could be due to the thermostat settings each stove uses.
The Palazzetti ran 3 weeks longer than the Castile last spring due to cold weather. Both stoves set at 70 degrees.

What heat levels does the Pallazzetti have? Stoves are Usually more efficient at just at or above mid level heat capacity not much at their max heat levels and you were burning the Quad on max if it was on level 3. I am not doubting that the Palazzetti is more efficient, Europe has had more stringent requirements for years now so I would expect the Italian stove to be better. Just wanting to know how much better when the variables are accounted for. Does anyone know how reliable the Palazzetti's are?
The Palazzetti heat range is from 1-5 same as Quad. Both stoves were set at 70 degrees, power setting 3. At this setting both stoves put out approx. 32,000 BTUs. The Palazzetti reburns the pellet gases produced by the primary combustion. The stove also has two heat exchangers, one is cast iron. It is very simple to service and parts are no problem. I dropped and broke my blower motor and had a new one in 3 days.

Your fuel savings will never compensate for buying a new pellet stove every 4 or 5 years......
I agree the savings over a 4-5 year period will not nuy a new pellet stove but the advanced design and quiet opertion of the stove sold me. :)

Reactions: EastMtn
Status
Not open for further replies.