Pallet Cutting Strategies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I've mostly stopped using pallets because I find them tedious to cut up.

But here are some things I do to make cutting them up as painless as possible.

1. I usually use my Bosch jigsaw instead of my circular saw. It takes a little longer, but my circular saw is very heavy, and sometimes I have problems with the blade guard getting stuck as I go from board to board.

2. I usually use my Black and Decker workmate. Sometimes I clamp one pallet on top of it and use that as the work surface. The pallet I'm cutting goes on top of that, and may be slid around for convenient cutting. Other times I work directly on the workmate itself. By clamping down the 2x4 stringer, I can keep things from shifting as I cut.

3. Sometimes I start by leaning the pallet against something, and cutting it in half (that is cut along the middle stringer on both sides of the pallet). That makes things less cumbersome to work with, and there's less leaning involved when cutting.

Anyone else have some tips for cutting pallets.

The chainsaw works faster,but I often cut pallets with my Milwaukee Sawzall loaded with a sabre blade.As you said, I lean the pallet against a garage wall(45* roughly) and cut down each side of the center support.Next, peel of all the horizontals by hand like a wild bushman,cut the 3 main support pieces to desired length,down a beer,start over,repeat as necessary.

Most economical would be a good Skil 77 Worm drive and a stack of cheap steel blades. When they start burning, change them. The saw had the tork to do all you need and is light enough you won't get arm and shoulder fatigue. cut the tops and bottoms, leave the stiles (4 X 4 frames) and do those up with a chain saw.

In the past, I have never removed the nails, stuck the wood in the stove and let the fire deal with the nails. If you use the ash in the garden get a big magnet and go through the ash first. Don't worry about the nails somehow damaging the stove, only if you are using a shaker could it be a problem.

I do like Titan except I usually cut the decking right next to each joist, rather than pull them off. I stack the pallet to be cut flat on top of a couple of others. I've used both a circular saw and a chainsaw, the latter is far faster and easier.

Titan said:
The chainsaw works faster,but I often cut pallets with my Milwaukee Sawzall loaded with a sabre blade.As you said, I lean the pallet against a garage wall(45* roughly) and cut down each side of the center support.Next, peel of all the horizontals by hand like a wild bushman,cut the 3 main support pieces to desired length,down a beer,start over,repeat as necessary.
How many beers do yo..I mean pallets do you generally cut at a time? :cheese:

Usually only 5 or 6 at a time; by that time I have to go inside for a leak,and I'm relaxed enough to be "sociable" to my better half. ;-)"Yes pumpkin,I'll be there in a minute........just have to finish this last pallet!

jpl1nh said:
Titan said:
How many beers do yo..I mean pallets do you generally cut at a time? :cheese:

Personally, having done what I do for over twenty years, having all my fingers, toes and major bones, I don't turn a switch on after even one beer. On your best day, you can't stop that saw from re-arranging your body parts, before you can react, so you have to stay ahead of the game. I like to think that a cord cut is worth a whole lot, so, I'll take tomorrow off.

Blast away, I have done it in my youth, but I really would like to be planted with all original parts.

Having a toddy after is so much sweeter..... That's why it takes me ten minutes to key this post.........

Not a prude, just like my buddies whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.