Pallet sawbuck, pine, seasoning stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
When we last left off, I was hauling 9 pallets up to VT for stacking. I took 2 pallets and made a sawbuck. I got the idea from someone on this forum. Mine's not perfect, but it gets the job done...and you can't beat the cost. It's not ideal for taking a few inches off a round, but it's great for longer rounds or longer smaller diameter trees/big branches. I used a bungee cord to keep the round from moving while I sawed away.

As you can see, I cut down to size a good amount of pine rounds I had. I scrounged these rounds last August. Most needed to be cut to 16-18" so they'll fit in the Castine. The pic I posted was about 1/2 way done....I cut the other 1/2 of the pile shortly after. I split a few rounds and dusted off the ol' moisture meter. The pine splits were registering around 20-25%. Sweet...they'll be ready to burn by fall. Well, they're probably ready now.

And a shot of the stacks. Most of that is Ash...cut back in November. The darker wood is hardwood leftover from last August.

Attachments

• IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_2936.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_2937.jpg
    IMG_2937.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 958
Pallet sawbuck and pine.

Attachments

• IMG_2938.jpg
    IMG_2938.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,153
  • IMG_2939.jpg
    IMG_2939.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,449
  • IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,090
Hey, I like the mountain goat style sawbuck. Is it asymmetrical or just on a slope? Building it asymmetric keeps the base away from your feet. Looking at the pattern of sawdust on the ground though, it looks like you're standing on the long side.

Also, I can't help but notice your wood is stacked all wrong. You got the bark side down. Rain will get trapped between the bark and the wood. Hate to be the one to tell you but you will have to restack it.

It is sorta asym...mostly by chance. :lol: of course, I had no long screws in VT...so I had to do a bit of counter-sinking. It works well though, so that's a good thing.

I'll just let the stacks be. I'll take the risk with the bark. It's been very very dry this summer. When it does rain, the water only goes down about a foot into the pile. Righ now, I have some unsplit rounds up top. I need to split those...and I'll stack that barkside up. I'm sure the wood will be dryer than the wood I burned last year. Which was purchased in August and only seasoned for a few months.

Saw buck looks good.

Skier76 said:
I had to do a bit of counter-sinking.
Counter-sinking is good. You don't want metal anywhere near the surface for a chain to get nicked on.

My next sawbuck will be asymmetric, even more so than your accidental version. The idea being two-fold. One, the base will not be under foot and two, the front log holder will be lower than the rear for easier loading.

Post pics of that when you make it. I've got good access to free pallets, so I wouldn't mind making another down the road.

What difference this made though. Much less stopping over. And it held that log a lot firmer vs just resting it on a flat pallet.

Looks good Skier.

Thanks Dennis!

Hopefully, the next round of pics will be most of that pine split and stacked. I need to spend some time with the Fiskars this weekend.

It’s not ideal for taking a few inches off a round,

Given a little thought I bet you could come up with a quick fix for doing that even if it was to lay some already cut rounds in there. I don't use sawbucks but if I did I'd do just what you did. Very elegant in its simplicity...and it's recycled too. Holy Cow!

That's a good thought. I could also attach another flat board or two closer to the end, so the log/round has something to rest on when I "bungee" it down.

It's a work in progress. I'm sure I'll "refine" the idea as I move along. Small adjustments are bound to happen after a period of use.

Great idea, skier. I'm starting to think of a holder for cutting kindling, made from pallets (mostly). This could be the basis for it.

I like it Skier.....i'm looking for something similar. I'm trying to find something that would easily take a few inches off a long split. I have some 22" pieces that I need to cut down to 18",,,,lookin for some advise.

Joey, I "think" that may work. Some of the pine I had this weekend was around 2' and I cut it down to about 16-18". Let me take some better pics this weekend. I'll get a round in there and secure it with the bungee cord. I'll also take some measurements to show how much can be cut off in the current configuration.

Or some kind of depth stop that you can clamp on temporarily.

Joey said:
I like it Skier.....i'm looking for something similar. I'm trying to find something that would easily take a few inches off a long split. I have some 22" pieces that I need to cut down to 18",,,,lookin for some advise.

If 22" is too long... Measure how deep your stove is and maybe cut them in half and load it N/S. Those 4" cut offs are a real PITA!

I took a few pics this weekend.

Two shots with the round in place. And a shot of of the sawbuck empty.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 343
Here's and idea I had....Attach another board closer to the edge of the sawbuck. This should, in theory, make it easier to secure shorter rounds that only need a few inches cut off.

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 342
Skier what size are the pallets you use for stacking, I'm thinking about picking some up for the softwood.

zap

zap,
Most are 4'x4'. I have a few that aren't, but I tried to use all the same size under my stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.