1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pallets for Stacking Wood

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrotherBart, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I was walking out of ACE Hardware today and noticed around fifty pallets stacked beside the store. Nice ones. I went back in and asked the manager what he did with them. He replied "Whatever I can to get rid of them. Take as many as you want."

I don't know if all ACE stores are loaded with them but it is worth checking out if you need pallets.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    I've been lucky enough to get them from my dad's job, but with the plant closing in september, I guess I'll also be looking for a place. It seems tons of businesses are looking to unload pallets all the time. There are always ads on craigslist about it. Pallets really do kick butt for stacking wood too imho.
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    They also make great beach bonfire's
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ah yes. Those Colorado beach parties!
  5. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Hooray for nails

PLEASE
    Dont use pallets for bonfires
  6. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    party pooper.
  7. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    some pallets are made out of oak. but most of the time the company that ships them wants them back. but sometimes you get lucky.
  8. carpniels

carpniels Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    HI guys,

There are companies that pick up pallets and fix them if they need fixing and then sell them again. Good business to be in (owner drives a bimmer).

I cut up a few pallets for kindling and it is a pain. It burns well but the nails are really difficult to get out of the grates.

carpniels
  9. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    I burn alot of pallets here at the shop they stack up outside. I like the VC pallets the best they have these 4x4 chunks of hardwood that burn nice. The nails suck but so do 100 pallets stacked up out back.
  10. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I have a powerfull magnet used for picking up nails especislly usefull after a roof stripping job.
    Drag it around the inside of the stove and nails and screws jump out of the ash. Besides a nail or two
    is a non factor in my garden. should I miss one. Got to get me quite a few more pallets, I neeed to stack a lot of wood
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.