Pallets only

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Is there anyone out there that processes pallets for burning only?

I cut up 2-3 per week for kindling and to supplement the semi-seasoned wood I'm currently using. Are you planning to use them as your sole source of wood?

I cut up 2-3 per week for kindling and to supplement the semi-seasoned wood I'm currently using. Are you planning to use them as your sole source of wood?
No, but everywhere I look I see them. No seasoning issue, probably use a chop saw rather than axe. Probably burn too fast since they're thinner

I often break up used pallets for fuel. Mostly I use it for kindling. The heavier pieces of oak I will mix in with cordwood. I also mix in Envi blocks. The combo is based on how hot and how long I want to burn. I use a pallet buster to breakup the pallets then cut pieces to size. I try to not use power tools but it really depends on how much I have.

No, but everywhere I look I see them. No seasoning issue, probably use a chop saw rather than axe. Probably burn too fast since they're thinner
Same thing around here, I have a pretty big stack just need to get a pallet buster to break em up, did few with a 3' crow bar, not worth the effort. I have plenty of wood but there's so many free pallets I thought I'd mix some in now and then to cut down on using my wood. Be prepared for the fire to get hot if you try burning them.

Never heard of a pallet buster before. Cool tool, and if you're strapped for wood and burning pallets, this would be a must. Otherwise, it looks like a lot of effort to get one completely broken down, cut to size, and have the nails removed for burning.

What's everyone average time for completely breaking down a pallet ... removing nails, cutting and all?

When I bought my house the previous owner must have been burning pallets only. There was about 10 lbs of nails packed in the back of the ash pan that took me an hour to break loose!!

I have been burning mostly pallets and some pine so far this season. I have plenty of cord wood out in the woodshed but it hasn't been that cold yet, so I have not used any yet.

I break them up with a pallet buster/fork and cut them up with a chop saw, don't worry about the nails.

If you can find the pallets made from oak 4" x 4"s they are very good to burn, I get overnight burns with a load of them.

I hand pick all the nice oak pallets from work. We do get a lot of the larger oak pallets with the nice 4x4 runners. Those burn really nice. Most of the pallets we store inside have a moisture content of 10% , I don't think you could burn very many by themselves. I have no problem getting the stove up to 600 in a few minutes with a handful of pallet kindling and some semi seasoned wood( ash and maple at 20-25%)

I already burn my pallet stash.... of about 17 pallets. They went quick... I got them from work, but its kinda a gray area--- not exactly okay to take, but okay kinda. My boss said i could take what i need but gave me the wink in a sense. kinda gotta do it in the shadows..mainly so other associates don't get butt hurt and feel entitled to taking what they want from the place. (im in a leadership position) I stopped and at the moment only take scrap 2x4's.

edit - i will say i'm anal about buring only pallets that have HD stamped on them. do you guys burn stuff that isn't clearly marked as to if it was chemically treated?

used a ton of them back in the 70's. started heating with wood again in 2006, that year burned over a cord of them. sometime mixed with splits ,at other times just pallet wood alone. ocd about removing the nails, I use a long wonder bar. burning some right now.

takes 10 mins. to take apart. great to have around to quickly restart the splits with the large AM load before leaving for work.

best part is the they are free heat. worst part, too many poplar pallets around these days.
best of the Christmas season, have a day

Status
Not open for further replies.