pallets or stone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
Running a snow thrower in tight spaces like that can be a challenge. If the snow isn't too deep, you can turn off the auger and just plow it until you're clear of the pile. I have knee deep snow everywhere and in places like that, it would drift in as high as the woodpiles. Also, with the cold temps we get, that poly would shatter into a million tiny pieces.

Yup it is. I even measured all the spaces out and made sure to leave a foot of clearance for my blower. That only works out to 6" on each side and that can get tricky going around some of the odd size splits ;-) We don't get as much snow as you per event so it isn't to bad. I think the biggest snowfall we have had is @ 1' with out much drifting.

How cold does it get where you are? I've noticed the poly (4mil IIRC) getting a little brittle and stretching but no shattering yet! Getting that cold is just crazy to think about!

I would love to get some of the thick plastic corrugated shed roofing material to put over the stacks next year. The fancy ones will be easy to cover but I'll have to rig something up for the pallet/fence post stacks.

Mike

-40 or colder with the cheap 6 mil poly and you'll be regretting it. It will often shatter into pieces about the size of a footprint that when stepped on gets you launched into a head-over-heels loop-de-loop. The better brands of poly have UV inhibitors and might last two seasons at most. Live and learn.

EPDM rubber roofing lasts a very long time and being heavier, tends to stay put. You can sometimes salvage used stuff for free from roofers or buy new on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.