PALLETS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
Is it OK to burn wooden pallets? Are they chemically treated?

Most arent treated but be careful of over-firing your stove. They are usually very dry. Mix it in with cordwood and you'll be fine.
I bought a big magnet to keep the nails out of the ash can that goes in the compost pile.

I agree with babalu, they burn great but very hot. I've never seen any treated. I have a local pallet company that sells their scrap. They put a 4 foot high frame around a pallet and wrap it around with plastic wrap to create a big bin. Then fill it with misc. pallet wood for about $25. It makes great kindling and will get the stove up to temp in a hurry. You wouldn't want to rely on it for a main fuel source as it burns way to fast. I work for an outdoor equipment dealer and get large hardwood pallets when zero turn mowers are shipped. They make excellent kindling. They can be a pain to cut, lots of nails and staples. Last season I filled a 5 gallon bucket with nails that I pulled out of the stove with my magnet. Anyway, just watch your temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.