Pandora's Zero Clearance Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tgmuller

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2009
SE michigan
Ok, i've been lurking for awhile now, great site, tons of good info....but now i have a question. I had a zero clearance heatilator from the mid 80's with a double walled chimney. This past weekend i got lots of help from some friends and father in law to help install a lopi 1750 republic into the ZC. Long story short, i was not happy with the how the inserts chimney lined up with the existing chimney and the weight of the insert was causing some alarming bending action the the floor of the ZC. Not cool. My local lopi dealer was kind enough to take everything back at no charge and stated they haven't heard of anyone else with these issues (go figure). So the next day i proceeded to rip out the zero clearance piece of ____. I now want to place a free standing wood stove, Republic 1750, into where the ZC was. I will basically be installing it into an alcove. The great news is that behind the ZC, i have 3 walls of masonry, no combustibles!

My question is, may i still use the existing double wall chimney that was used for the ZC? I have approx 26 ft of chimney that would get rather pricey with a triple wall chimney, but first and foremost i don't want to burn my home down that i spent the last year renovating. I spoke with an installer from the store this morning that recommended using a 6" SS liner down the 8" double wall, just like i was going to use for the insert. This seems reasonable and safe, any input? I will be posting pictures soon.

pic of what was behind my zc, my failed insert attempt, and where i would rather have been

Attachments

• net-ready.jpg
    net-ready.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 282
  • chimney-web.jpg
    chimney-web.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 276
  • no-bueno.jpg
    no-bueno.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 295
  • web.jpg
    web.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 273
First of all if your installer didn't tell you that the 6" SS liner
had to have an insulation wrap BEFORE it went down the ZC venting,
then he is not familiar with current NFPA 211 guidlines & I wouldn't trust his input.
Secondly, your liner - where it exits the ZC vent & attaches to your new appliance - is
no longer contained in a firebox.
I don't think you're gonna get ANY inspector to approve what you want to do.
I agree that Class A chimney isn't cheap, but that's the way I'd go...
HTH

The alcove is going to get hot up top and it appears like there is no heat shielding at all now for the chase. Read up on the alcove requirements for the Lopi first. Also, what is being done about the"bending in the floor of the ZC? Are you on solid block now?

Thanks for the input! Yes, i'm on solid block now that i removed the insert. t I'm also aware that i need a heat shield for the alcove. i just don't understand the chimney requirements. If i use a double wall or even a single wall connector coming out of my stove, run it into the existing double wall chimney, then place a SS liner going the rest of the way up, wouldn't that adequate?

Is the whole point in tearing out what is there, is the fact that there are too many unknowns. ie manufacturer, temp rating, meeting code, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.