Panels on concrete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Will it be worth while to put 1" thick 4+8 sheets of Styrofoam insulating board up on my concrete cellar walls to retain heat from my pellet stove? i think the bare walls are absorbing the heat. i use the stove to heat the floors.

Thank you john

Insulation will keep the walls from absorbing heat. If exposed to the air, the outside walls will tend to want to absorb enough of the heat to equalize with the inside temp. And, the cold will keep sucking the warm out of the room. If the basement is below ground, most of the wall area will be at 54 degrees and will try to equalize with the inside temp.
Insulation will tend to keep the walls from sucking up the heat.

Absolutely! I don't know what styrofoam sheets cost off the top of my head, but how expensive can styrofoam be? Seems like it would be a cheap way to greatly increase your thermal efficiency.

-SF

Thanks everyone!! this is the kind of Styrofoam with the silver on one side. I think the 1" is about 10 bucks a sheet.theses wals are under ground.

John

I think you're usually supposed to cover it with something fireproof, like 1/2" sheetrock.

velvetfoot said:
I think you're usually supposed to cover it with something fireproof, like 1/2" sheetrock.

I thought it would be safe because the stove is vented threw a 2+4 built wall away from the concrete walls. Its a walkout type cellar. the back wall is stick built.

The stuff burns with toxic smoke.
It's a building code thing.
The foam also has a warning printed on it.

velvetfoot said:
The stuff burns with toxic smoke.
It's a building code thing.
The foam also has a warning printed on it.

Thank you. I will look into it. this is why i love this site. Great info and members.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.