Papa Bear date and location of manufacture?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I recently acquired Papa Bear stove. It was salvaged from the basement of a house that burned (not the reason for the fire) and needs a bit of work to make it pretty again. I am going to give it a light sand blast and depending on how the top turns out, I may polish it with with a 220 grit sanding disk before finishing the steel.

The stove has angle corners/legs, flat top door, bear paw feet, spring handle, one piece top and a baffle below the discharge. It originally had fire bricks inside, that are missing and I will replace. The puzzling part is that the top is 21" wide. Information that I have found on this sight indicates that the Papa Bear had a 20" wide top.

There is a"D937" stamped on the back top left (viewed from the back).

I was wondering if anyone could help me find out where and when this stove was built or provide any other interesting facts.

Thank

20 inches wide is correct. The fabricator may have built them with a larger overhang. 20 inches is what the drawings call for, but different fabricators vary to the actual prints. First post here gives measurements of all the single door models.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-papa-mama-and-baby-bear-details-bear-series.86736/

Normal firebox size is 18 inches wide across front, 32 inches deep. (outside)
Here is a cut sheet size used as a cheater sheet for the shop. Sizes were taken from prints in the office and this was used in the shop by the builder.

upload_2016-5-4_21-14-0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.