1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Papa Bear Firebricks

Post in 'Fisher Stove Information, Parts, History and More' started by coaly, Sep 6, 2012.

1. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    The pictures of the original drawing below (1977) shows 8 additional (letter A size) for an upper row of bricks on the sides. (shown at top and bottom of page, with one brick sideways towards the front where stove top is lower) Many stoves don't have this upper row. Overfiring will show signs of extreme heat by discoloring paint in this area, but under normal operation they are not required.

These are 1 1/4" thick X 4 1/2" X 9" white firebricks;

............................ bricks required ..................................................
    A.. 4 1/2 X 9 ...................21 ( 29 total with upper course, 21 without upper course )
    J... 3 7/8 X 9 ................... 1
    K.. 3 3/8 X 9 ................... 3
    L.. 4 1/2 X 5 7/8 .............. 6
    M.. 3 3/8 X 5 7/8 ............. 1

Papa Bear Brick Layout.JPG

Install across back first, then sides back to front, then fill in bottom from back to front to hold in place.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mark nagy

mark nagy New Member

Thanks a million for this. I will go and buy the complet set. It looks like it is going to be fun to reach the ones in the back. Thanks again.
  3. Merrill

Merrill New Member

Hello Coaly: Acquired a little used Mama Bear about 30 years ago. Stored in the basement and not used. Until now! Or will use it after my new outside shop is completed. I have the firebrick in a box (took out of the stove to save weight in moving - Duh!) and now need the layout, as above, except for the Mama Bear. Do you have such?

Also in reading the Fisher thread, there is talk about adding a baffle. My stove is not the older one, but it does have a square opening and square door. There is no baffle inside; just a plate beneath the 6" flue.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  4. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    The brick layout is in the Mama Bear Firebrick thread here;
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/mama-bear-firebricks.88386/

And the baffle pictured in this thread is in my Mama Bear that worked out very well sitting on the small horizontal plate below the outlet. 2 firebricks stood upright on the sides supports the front of a solid steel plate on an angle that directs the flame to the stove top, instead of out the rear outlet.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...d-fisher-more-heat-less-smoke-under-25.74710/