Papa Bear not burning All Night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey guys, I'm having trouble keeping my Fisher Papa Bear to burn for more then a few hours without some serious attention. I'm still playing with the dampers in the door, any thoughts or tips? Thanks!

My stove is almost indentical to the one you have. This is my first year burning and have been having the fire go out around 3 am. Last night I got my first all night burn. Here is waht I did. I use a mix of ecobricks and wood. I got the eco bricks going good and hot, then added some small wood around them, then on the sides of the stove I stacked up 2 big pieces of red oak . I got it burning good and hot for about 30 mins, around 9 pm. Then I closed both air vents on the front, and closed the damper all the way. At 6 30 am the stove was still good and warm and the house was 71.

What kind of wood are you using, if I remimber right that is a good sized stove and should burn more than a couple of hours, is the the stove really hot for the length of the burn or are you turning it down a good amount to extend the burn?

Thanks for the advice guys, it is a big stove, takes up to 30 inch logs, and I'm using mostly all dry oak and maple. I just assumed that closing the dampers in the door would put the fire out, so I've leaving them open a bit at night, even with a good hot fire going. I'll try closing them and see what happens.

You are correct to keep them open a little bit while the charge of wood is fresh and outgassing. Leave them open enough until the wood has turned to charcoal. Then close them down almost all the way.

Are you using a stove pipe damper at all?

pen

tmckenzie said:
I got the eco bricks going good and hot, then added some small wood around them, then on the sides of the stove I stacked up 2 big pieces of red oak . I got it burning good and hot for about 30 mins, around 9 pm. Then I closed both air vents on the front, and closed the damper all the way. At 6 30 am the stove was still good and warm and the house was 71.

The Mrs. gets all in a kerfuffle when I do this. I do not have a Papa Bear, though- Sierra Hearthstove.

Is this not... dangerous?

emsflyer84 said:
I'm not using a stove pipe damper yet, bit I'm installing one today. Will that make a difference in burn time?
Yes it probably will on an older type stove, SOP on older stoves.

emsflyer84 said:
I'm not using a stove pipe damper yet, bit I'm installing one today. Will that make a difference in burn time?

Only when you close it. ;-)

It wouldn't hurt to check how airtight your stove is. When I first used my stove, I couldn't make a full load last more than 4 or 5 hours. My doors were warped and the gasket was shot. After fixing that, I could actually manage to get a few overnight burns.

emsflyer, Your Papa Bear doesn't use a door gasket. Never saw a Fisher door warp, but the hinge pins can wear out and get sloppy affecting the seal. Closing the draft caps all the way should snuff it out or just glow. Certainly no flames. With your top damper almost shut, and the draft caps open less than 1/4 turn, that thing should burn all night and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.