Paper Birch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
My scrounger guy dropped some of this off. I've never seen a paper birch but the way the bark is on this sure reminds me of paper.

Attachments

• pb1.jpg
    pb1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 320
  • pb2.jpg
    pb2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 326
River Birch. Paper Birch has whiter wood with horizontal black marks. River Birch has the papery, peely bark of your wood. Both have similar wood, as far as burning characteristics, I think.

Get it split and enjoy.

If you have any kids, show them how to peel the paper and use it for crafts, letter writing or make some Christmas cards with it.

Well said Dennis.
I like Birch as a firewood, and it has a great paper bark for getting the fire going.

This is my favorite all around wood. Medium BTUs, easy to split, comes with it own kindling, smells nice, seasons in under a year, and looks nice in the firewood rack.

Just make sure that you split it soon and get it off the ground as it tends to rot MUCH faster when not processed. Good luck.

Wood Duck said:
River Birch. Paper Birch has whiter wood with horizontal black marks. River Birch has the papery, peely bark of your wood. Both have similar wood, as far as burning characteristics, I think.

+1 river birch!

Thanks guys! I'll get the larger ones split and keep it in the garage out of the weather.

I agree it's river birch. Paper birch is whiter, and actually has less papery bark hanging off it usually

Status
Not open for further replies.