Paper Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwat

Nov 19, 2014
MD/PA
I understand that you shouldn't burn glossy papers, cardboard and the like in the wood stove; however...

has anybody seen or used a product like this that makes paper logs?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200618533_200618533?cm_mmc=Bing-{adtype}-_-Heaters, Stoves + Fireplaces-_-Heater, Stove + Fireplace Accessories-_-148827

I am wondering since it is compressed that its shouldn't still have the hazards of burning single sheets and would be a great firestarter that last a longer than a few seconds

Id love to hear your input

Thanks

I'm not sold. There's no substantial pressure being applied, once it dries(days? weeks?) I see it flaking apart fairly easily.

Waste of time, piles of ashes, no significant heat output.

the way I understand it is that its held together like paper mache is.
I am looking to use it as a firestarter that stays lit for more time than a single sheet of paper would

I was concerned if there are any negative affects to the chimney from burning these paper bricks

Paper mache has glue in it.

http://www.supercedar.com/

Send Thomas an email w/your name & mailing address, mention Hearth.com, and he'll send a couple of free samples out to you pronto. If you use 1/4 puck per start, It'll cost you around 14 cents or so. No muss, no fuss, no worries, no machine to squish newspapers.

I remember reading an article about a guy who was on every possible mailing list and catalog list there was, and was heating his house with all the junk mail. It probably didn't work real well, but it made me smile while I sorted through all my unwanted mail.

The mailman must have hated him...

Reactions: semipro
Status
Not open for further replies.