Parallel Heat Zone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
My Tarm Solo 30 took the place of wood stove in my 16x24 pool room, which is a daylight basement addition to my 26x40 original basement. My storage tank is towards my oil backup, which is at the far end of the house, probably close to 60' of piping away. My heating zones are controlled by zone valves, all driven by a common circulating pump, located by the oil boiler. I would like to have some more heat in the pool room, as the Tarm does a wonderful job of feeding the BTU's it makes into the water, and doesn't give up much heat to the pool room. Heating pipes do run back across the pool room ceiling to feed the rooms above.

One of the old zones is a radiator with a fan that can kick out a lot of heat that isn't really needed where it's located by the oil furnace, and I'd like to move it to the pool room. Rather that extend its pipes all the way to the pool room, could I simply tap a parallel loop complete with zone valve into the pipes that are already passing through?

Ok, it just occurred to me that a "parallel zone" would be a slave to the primary and could only function when the primary was calling for heat, not an ideal situation.
My first thought had been to tap into the loop from the wood boiler to the tank and heat distribution, but I didn't think that heat would be flowing through that loop when the tank is supplying the heat.

Rory said:
Ok, it just occurred to me that a "parallel zone" would be a slave to the primary and could only function when the primary was calling for heat, not an ideal situation.
My first thought had been to tap into the loop from the wood boiler to the tank and heat distribution, but I didn't think that heat would be flowing through that loop when the tank is supplying the heat.

You're right, although it may be possible to set things up so that it would work. Sketch out your system and look to see if there's a flow path that makes sense that you could establish without too much plumbing upheaval. You'd have to have reverse flow in the heater-to-storage section when heating with storage, but that's not a violation of the laws of physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.