Part 10 of Mega-Query: A Word About Harman Stoves….

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePatriot

Feb 19, 2007
Okay, A Few Words About the Harman Company, One of Its Dealers, and One of Its Stoves….

Hi all,

The above subhead lists the topics in this section of my Mega-Query: Which Woodstove to Get? series.

Two years ago, I was very interested in the Harman Exception steel convection stove. I still think it’s one of the coolest designs I’ve ever seen, functionally. However, the company won’t publish the fire box capacity (either in lbs. or cu. ft.) and neither the factory nor the dealer could or would tell me. I’ve since learned from a Harman dealerthat it might be 2.7 cu. ft., but this same dealer also told me the following:

Harman makes some of the best coal and pellet stoves, but their wood stoves have big problems—they aren’t even selling the glass in the internal, “secondary burn window,” in the center of that big, heavy, cast piece in the back of stove anymore. When that piece fails, the replacement no longer has the glass window in it. Instead, the glass has been replaced by a plate. I try not to sell these stoves.

Indeed—the stove was not even on his floor, but out in an outbuilding, and not even completely assembled.

And this was the GOOD Harman dealer, not the one I had the problem with!

Ahhh...that dealer. Well, I was never so rudely treated by both the mfr. and a Harman dealer (not the Harman dealer quoted above), as I was by the Harman people. So…apologies to Harman owners, but that was my experience. Which is a shame, because the Harman Exception is cool in that is it not only an optional top loader, which is a rarity today (though the top door is rather small) but that top door comes out, and an optional, stainless steel grill can be inserted, for grilling indoors, with the smoke allegedly being sucked back into the stove, depending upon the position of the bypass damper, like on those old “Jenn Air” commercials. What a shame Harman works so hard not to sell them….

What do I mean by that? Well, after the (bad) Harman dealer refused to call me back, as promised, with info they didn’t know, (like the friggin’ firebox capacity??!) I called them, and was, ultimately hung up on, after being insulted and ridiculed by the owner. This occured AFTER HE BROKE INTO MY TELEPHONE CONVERSATION WITH THE SALES PERSON, after admitting he’d been EAVESDROPPING!

You see, the firebox capacity was apparently too tough of a question for them, and they were supposed to call me with that information, the following week. That's right, I was shopping for a stove fully three hours away from my home, and willing to buy a stove and haul it three hours, but they didn't have the info. So I said "No problem, can you call me with it next week? I can always come back upstate for the stove, some other time." But...apparently they couldn't be bothered to followup with the factory to learn what they should already know--the firebox capacity in cu. ft. Nor did they call me back.

Well, fair enough, so I called them back. And that's when their eavesdropping, rudeness and hanging up on me occured. I think it was because they still didn't have the firebox capacity, so they kind of lost it. And all this even though I was nothing but calm and professional in my total demeanor (I worked for years in customer service and I know what “reasonable” is—I am extremely nice to customer service people, as a result of working in that field and knowing what a tough job it is, yet this dealer was OUTRAGEOUS to me and my girlfriend.

Well, figuring I'd just found the one bad apple of a dealer, I figured I'd get the firebox capacity directly from the factory--because I still wanted the stove that much. So...I called the “800” number on the Harman brochure—you know, the one that says “For Customer Service, call 800 blah blah blah.”

So I called it, and this is what I was told, by the Harman factory:

“You can’t call this number—it’s for dealers only.”

“But your brochure says this number is for ‘Customer Service’

“Well, that…that’s a mistake—you can’t call here.”

“Okay, but since I’ve got you on the phone, can you just tell me the firebox capacity?”

“You’ll have to ask the dealer—I can’t help you.”

“But I did ask the dealer—they didn’t know, said they’d call you, but then hung up on me—they didn’t have the firebox capacity.”

“Well, I don’t know what to tell you—I can’t help you—you can’t call this number.”

“But why is it on your brochure? And I just want to know the size of your woodstove….”

“Well, the number shouldn’t be there, and I can’t help you. Click.”

Welll, that was my Harman experience. And a friend of mine loves her Harman woodstove (not sure which model). But if the firebox really is only 2.7 cu.ft. as the (good) Harman dealer claims to know, that's a little on the small side. And if he's telling the truth about their internal backing plate failing (which I have no idea about) then I'll definitely give it a miss.

I will be buying something in the coming weeks. Any and all comments and feedback will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I will also probably post another, short section, with specific questions on the above stoves, if I think of any, based on your responses.

Thanks you all, for your patience and energies, wood-fueled and otherwise!

Sincerely,

Peter
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I keep reading about the same things about Harman. I have talked to a few dealers who have stopped selling them because of the poor support. We are still in the market for a stove and Harman continues to drop lower & lower every day.

I think the main problem with Harman as with most if not all the other stove manufactures, is that they rely too heavily on there dealer network. And it is the luck of the draw which dealer you get and how competent they are.

As for the Harman Exception aka TL-200 this is what I was told by my dealer.
The combustion chamber on it was having some issues warping under extreme heat.
They did re-enforced it after people started to have issues which made it better but did not fully correct the problem.
Which is most likely the reason why they replaced the window with a solid piece.
I was also told that they are no longer making the TL-200 as it has been replaced by the TL-300 which
its combustion chamber can take 2x the heat of the TL-200 and it is a 3 cuft box as apposed to the 2.7 of the TL-200.

What causes the warping issue with the Harman Stoves is when you overfire it and send it into the afterburn.
Remember the afterburn chamber is designed to multiply the heat by around 2-3x, so if you have your stove going above 700 and send it into the afterburn the heat produced by it could be around 2,000. So if you get it above 650 I would not put it into the afterburn until it cools off a bit. The dealer suggested around 500 stove top for me it works best around 550-600 another measurement is flue temps (search forum for TL300 and get other suggestions on operating temps).

This is the reason why I can obtain 12+ burn times with my TL-300, even at the lowest setting stovetop stays around 400-450 with stack temps well above that and plenty of coals left to restart in the morning. For me the class A goes through a enclosed section in the bedroom with a vent on top to draw some of the heat off the pipe. When I kick it into afterburn you can just feel the heat come off that vent, this keeps the pipe clean even on low burns. The combustion chamber temps is probably one of the main reasons why the clearance to is is higher then most stoves on the market. Note the Oakwood has a similar combustion package as the TL-300.

As for dealer issues, if they can not answer your question and they do not give you the answers you need, go to a different dealer. Find one that knows the ins and the outs of the stove before you purchase, because the dealer will be the one supporting you not the manufacture.

I really liked the features of the Harman TL-300. Friday, I have a dealer who really appears to be on top of the game actually coming to our house to give us their recommendation for what we need. What are the specifics on your home for the 300 to heat properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.