Part 5: "Before" and "After"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Courtesy of a list member (who is welcome to chime in here), my 1970's Didier "grew up":

Before:

didier_before.jpg

After:

didier_complete.jpg

Shari said:
Courtesy of a list member (who is welcome to chime in here), my 1970's Didier "grew up":

Before:

didier_before.jpg

After:

didier_complete.jpg

Very nice Shari! I like the log lifter and the drop off table they should be a back saver! How is the log lifter linked to the splitter? How has it worked for you so far?

Ray

Great pics...I've seen a Didier for sale on our CL but I know nothing about them. Is there anything about them that I should be concerned about when if I go look at it? Your set up looks great.

Ray,

The log lift is connected via a tube/channel which creates the 'hinge' of the lift and has a removal rod running running all the way across this 'hinge' area. For portability, the log lift is removable in two pieces and the table lifts off.

Hubby, our son and I give this design a +10!

muncybob said:
Great pics...I've seen a Didier for sale on our CL but I know nothing about them. Is there anything about them that I should be concerned about when if I go look at it? Your set up looks great.

Take a round or two of wood with you to try it out. We purchased ours with a bad engine knowing that going in. About 5 yrs. later we replaced the seals on the cylinder and upgraded all the hoses. $225 for engine, $75 cylinder repairs and about $25 in new hoses. If I recall correctly we purchased our splitter for around $150. We now have around $500 in it including new hydraulic oil as needed (lost a LOT when the cylinder seals went).

Other than that our 5.1HP Briggs sips gas and the splitter has handled rounds as large as 28" hickory.

Thanks for the info Shari...your price was certainly right! The one I'm thinking about is somewhat more but may still be a good deal if it checks out OK. I just can't believe how much people are wanting for used splitters these days!
No matter what splitter we wind up with I'm going to copycat your design...makes splitting look like more fun.

well, thanks alot, shari!!! up till now, iv'e always done splitting by hand. 99 lbs always offers to but a splitter, but as "frugal" as i am, i always reject the offer. after watching your vids, i think i may consider the offer a bit more seriously!!
looks like your (hubby/son) process just got alot easier. way to go! nice pics/vids...thanks for posting

yooperdave said:
well, thanks alot, shari!!! up till now, iv'e always done splitting by hand. 99 lbs always offers to but a splitter, but as "frugal" as i am, i always reject the offer. after watching your vids, i think i may consider the offer a bit more seriously!!
looks like your (hubby/son) process just got alot easier. way to go! nice pics/vids...thanks for posting

Heh! Heh! Son is normally 'missing in action' when there is work to do at Mom & Dad's place - but, you see, there was a new 'toy' to play with.

BTW I have run & I LOVE the mod! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.