Part "B" - Jøtul F-400 vs Morsø 7110 vs???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1919, 1000 sq.ft. Ranch on L.I., N.Y.

• Other chose - PLEASE tell me !!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJF1313

Oct 25, 2009
Pine Barrons, L.I., NY
Now the enviable question - what else should I be looking at?

Jøtul Morsø
BTU 55K 38K
Area 1600 1300 (square feet)
Eff. % 73 75 (+?)
Weight 375 309 (pounds)
Log length 20" 16"
warranty 5yr 10yr

Cubic Ft ?? 1.0+

Both have 6' flues, ash pans(not important to me), top vents(VERY important) and are non-catalytic (secondary air) (so-so important - on the fence about them both as far as catalytic converter vs secondary air)

This is in a 1919 ranch, 1 floor, not too open floor plan, just under 1,000 sq. feet. I am planning on a corner install on the inside supporting wall of the house, and the kitchen, in the living/dinning room area. The flue will be atleat 4' from the stove top to the support box (8' ceilings), about 7' in the attic, and another 4+' above the roof; all straight up-n-out. So most of the chimney will be inside, in a conditioned space.

Who else should I be looking into? I'm on Long Island, NY. There are 2 dealers close to me, besides Home Depot and Lowes. Neither carries Blaze King or Buck.

The D/W does not like the looks of : Avalon, Dutch West/Vermont Casting, Englander/Summers Heat, Hampton or Napoleon.

I would be willing to travel up to Ct/Ma or to NJ just to look at a stove that's not local. SHE did give me the nod on the Jøtul, but what else is out there?

Thanks all AGAIN!

P.S. We already have an "older" (double door) F-400 in the MIL's apartment (attached to the house). It is seldom/rarely gets used (less than a face cord a year) because of her asthma, heat conditions, and concern (paranoid) . I, personally, do NOT like the double door concept; especially on small stove such as this. That is one of the reasons I kicked out the Morsø 2110, and am leaning towards another "newer" Jøtul 400 with the single door.

If money is tight I'd move the older F400 in the house and get the MIL an oil filled electric heater. The double doors are not all that bad once you get used to working with them. But between your two choices I would probably go for the Jotul.

If money is not the issue, did you show dear wife the Woodstock Keystone or the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 or T5?

BeGreen said:
If money is tight I'd move the older F400 in the house and get the MIL an oil filled electric heater. The double doors are not all that bad once you get used to working with them. But between your two choices I would probably go for the Jotul.

If money is not the issue, did you show dear wife the Woodstock Keystone or the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 or T5?

I have nothing more to add. Completely agree.

Another one I didnt see on your list you might look at (since I am considering the Jotul F400 and this also) is the Quadra-Fire Cumberland Gap.

I am pretty sure the F-400 is a little over 2 cubic foot firebox. I have little trouble getting an over night burn out of it. It is heating a little under 2000 square feet for me. I am very well insulated though.

The F400 is a bit under 2 cu ft. The F500 is a bit over 2 cu ft.

My Morso is easy to run, throws a lot of heat quickly, but will not do overnight burns. 4-5 hours max with good wood. After one year and two cords, I'd buy the bigger firebox.

As usual BeGreen offered some stellar advice . . . which I will more or less echo so I can sound almost as smart as BeGreen. ;)

If money is an issue . . . moving the F-400 into your home could work . . . providing your wife is OK with the move.

Between the two choices I would go with the Jotul . . . while Morso is a good stove manufacturer I would have to give the edge to the Jotul in this case as it will put out more heat than the Morso (which fits in with my "go one size larger than what you think you need with a stove philosophy") . . . plus it can take the longer stick which is convenient . . . although certainly not a deal breaker . . . I just like longer wood . . . in my woodstove. As for the warranty . . . I wouldn't worry . . . both companies make quality products and there are folks with stoves from both companies that are many decades old . . . and still running fine.

Finally, it's probably a good thing there are no Blaze King dealers in the area . . . I suspect your wife would probably veto that brand since she also knocked some of the plain Jane steel stoves off the list . . . as well as the pretty looking VC line up. You may want to show her the "stone" stoves -- either the Hearthstone line up or Woodstock line of soapstone stoves. Personally I find the soapstone stoves to be wicked pretty looking . . . and functional to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.