Part I of My Mega-Query—Which Wood Stove to Get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePatriot

Feb 19, 2007

Background Information:
Which of These Five Stoves? And…My Five Wood-burning Goals

Hey all,

I have nothing but respect for this forum, the website and the people who post here! I have grasped, and agree with, the groups’ overall emphasis on “safety first”. Further, the reasonable, adult demeanor of everyone here could serve as a model for some less-reasonable forums I’ve seen, IMNSHO.

I have been “getting ready” to buy a wood stove since we moved into this house and quit renting, 5 years ago. Some personal setbacks, and procrastination (while seeking a stove that doesn’t exist, i.e., with all the features I want), have contributed to this delay. The girlfriend now says, either the stove comes in, or I go out….

That finally got the ball rolling….

This is going to be a huge post, which I apologize for in advance. If I am breaking some rule, it is not intentional. Hopefully, there will be enough here to interest those with the answers to my questions.

While I realize I am posting a ton of stuff on here all at once, please consider this: I’ve been “lurking” on the Q & A portion of this site, off and on, for two years. I read all 2,000 Q’s and A’s and all of the forums I could search in recent weeks, relevant to my questions. Hopefully now I am now able to ask at least semi-intelligent questions, making it easier to answer them. I hope so….

Actually, this is going to be a series of ten (yup, 10) posts, about generic concerns I have about wood stoves like burn time, easy loading, build quality, flue-liner construction and insulation, etc…that I have not been able to find the answers to on the site. It is my sincere hope that my concerns will be similar to those many “newbies” have, so that you all won’t be hatin’ on me for imposing this massive post upon you.

All the background info, about the house, etc…, was supposed to be neatly contained in the first section. However, the 6,000 character post-limit threw a wrench into my master plan, so the “introduction,” if you will, is itself in three parts (I know, I’ve heard it before, believe me…I talk too much…10/4.)`;).

Of course, the most critical information that you may wish to review, if you choose to answer any of my questions, would be about the house, the chimney, etc…. To that end, after the 3-part “intro” info is posted, I will put a link, in each sub-post, back to “The House Details” post. That way, if you say to yourself “Does this joker even know what kind of chimney he has?” you’ll be able to hit a quick link back to that relatively short section entitled “The House Details.”

Please don’t feel the need to answer every question, in this or any of the subsections—lol. But I will be grateful for any and all contributions/criticisms anyone is motivated to make, so if you just want to jump in on one, or a few points, (or on all 25 pages?) be my guest!

I am particularly interested in owners’ feedback on the 5 stoves I’m seriously considering, however. (These stoves are listed below.)

And I would love to be made aware of any stoves sharing the same features I am interested in, that I have not considered here.

The five wood stoves I’m considering:

Country Canyon ST310
Lopi Liberty
Quadra-fire 5700
Napolean 1900
P.E. Summit “Classic”

Have I missed any enamel-optional, welded steel stoves, in this size-class?

Have I missed any non-enameled, steel stoves which are similar in features and performance to the fab five above? Please tell me!

For those not interested in the above stoves, (or steel stoves like them) be advised that I will first be asking some general questions which may interest you, and then asking questions under headings pertaining to the individual stoves.

My Wood Burning Goals

My wood stove search is driven by just a few concerns which I feel are priorities for me, personally. In descending order of importance, I would list them as:

1. Maximum Output—as I will explain, heating our house will be a challenge. If possible, I’d like to not use our furnace at all, even if it meant recharging the baseboard radiators with antifreeze. (We have a small, natural gas boiler heating those metal-shrouded, baseboard “radiators.”

2. Maximum Burn Time--I have poor sleep habits, and I don’t need the added hassle of feeding a stove any more often than absolutely necessary.

3. Ease of Operation/Loading—I’ve had my fill of needy woodstoves. I want to feed it twice (three times?) a day, empty it once a week, and bask in the glow 24/7.

4. Longevity—I’m only 45 years old, but I’d like this to be my last woodstove—LoL

5. Aesthetics—Basically, I love the look of enameled stoves like the Napolean and Pacific Energy. But I want the versatility of a step-top design, for cooking, boiling water easily, etc….

I hope to see you in the coming posts, and I really appreciate this opportunity to mine the depths of such a wealth of experience as you all represent.

Thanks again,

Peter
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

welcome to hearth.com patriot!

my 2 cents......
if you get a summit.........pleasepleaseplease don't get it in whorehouse red:)

Well all I know is QUAD, I can tell you that line of stoves from quad works great. I don't think we have many 5700's around here but some 4300's and plenty of 3100's and all are very satisfied customers. Definitely get a blower kit for it.

You also said you are looking for steel stoves? You don't want cast? The Isle Royal is quite large also, can top load, and you can get it in a mahogany porcelain finish http://www.quadrafire.com/products/stoves/woodStoveDetail.asp?f=IsleRoyale

bruce56bb said:

my 2 cents......
if you get a summit.........pleasepleaseplease don't get it in whorehouse red:)

EEEEaaaaauuupppp. See my post on customizing. It may really be a cult?!?!?!?!?

To Roo and others, who read my posts in the (random) order in which they drifted through the forum, (which I found somewhat disconcerting), the irony of this is not lost on me, as I (finally) get around to writing to the first guy to respond to my first post...I guess I've finally "caught up to the beginning"...or something.

bruce56bb:

Re:

my 2 cents......
if you get a summit.........pleasepleaseplease don’t get it in whorehouse red

Thank you very much for the "warm" welcome! (pun intended) :)

I may have chafed at some rather "curt" (for lack of a better word) responses I got, upon my initial posting, but I can't say the very first one wasn't warm and friendly--thank you!

And I'll do my best re: the whorehouse red, but guess what? Although I do not like red automobiles, or red in general...I must say that those P.E.'s do look fine in whorehouse red! They kind of scream "Hey--look at me--I'm not your father's woodstove--I'm porcelein enamel!" (And you calling it "whorehouse" red isn't making it any less attractive to me, somehow--lol). I hope I don't disappoint the guy who gave me the warmest welcome to the forum...but that EBT and red enamel is a tempting combination--LOL

Thanks again, Bruce. It's good to be here....
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

jtp:

I seem to be writing to you a lot tonight. Well, re:

Well all I know is QUAD, I can tell you that line of stoves from quad works great. I don’t think we have many 5700’s around here but some 4300’s and plenty of 3100’s and all are very satisfied customers. Definitely get a blower kit for it.

I'm glad you know the Quads--that's a big help to me. I'm glad to hear about the satisfied customer base, and I will definitely get the blower, if I go Quad--thanks.

Re: this:

You also said you are looking for steel stoves? You don’t want cast? The Isle Royal is quite large also, can top load, and you can get it in a mahogany porcelain finish http://www.quadrafire.com/products/stoves/woodStoveDetail.asp?f=IsleRoyale

I know man, I know. I really wanted a top loader, when I started seriously getting into this, a couple of years ago. I first started to think about top loaders looking at the Harman Exception, but that's smaller stove (not that the company will publish it's firebox size--but that's a rant in Mega #10 "A Word About Harmans", which you've probably already read).

No offense, but I really don't want cast. Also, (speaking purely personally, and not meaning to offend anyone) my tastes are very "old school" in many things, including cars, planes, etc..., but somehow, the (Victorian? Not sure of my art genres) styling of most cast stoves is not appealing to me. Our house was done over kind of "mod" by the previous owner, and I'm thinking that's all the more reason to indulge my prefererence for the more modern look (IMO) of the sleeker, steel stoves. Purely personal preference, and believe me, it kills me to pass up a top-loader! Thanks for mentioning it, because if I wasn't so set in my aethetic judgement on this, I'd be all over that stove.

And believe me--I'm sure I'll pester you enough about Quads--you don't want to get me into yet another model line--LOL.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

UncleRich:

Re: this:

bruce56bb - 27 February 2007 05:36 PM

my 2 cents......
if you get a summit.........pleasepleaseplease don’t get it in whorehouse red

EEEEaaaaauuupppp. See my post on customizing. It may really be a cult?!?!?!?!?

Do I even want to know? LOL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks everyone.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.